Kettle composite rotor reviews (2014 and newer, F processed or newer)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kettle composite rotor reviews (2014 and newer, F processed or newer)

See link in next post for correct thread.
    Last edited by TracksFromHell; 11-18-2014 at 04:58 PM.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TracksFromHell View Post
    Here's a longer thread about the them: http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/ca...rs-823378.html

mtbr member
    Delete
    Last edited by TracksFromHell; 10-14-2014 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Anyone else notice the sound of crickets?
    I suspect you will be waiting quite some time to get a review on this forum!

mtbr member
    Delete
    Last edited by TracksFromHell; 10-14-2014 at 09:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think the boat has sailed, I wanted to try them, glad I never did.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

mtbr member
    Delete
    Last edited by TracksFromHell; 10-14-2014 at 09:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TracksFromHell View Post
    It might take a while ... but it is worth finding out.
    I agree, but as one who as laid out some $$$ for several generations of the rotors that did not meet expectations, I am going to wait until such time we start reading a majority of positive feedback on F-series rotors.
    Last edited by ms6073; 08-25-2014 at 03:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've put alot of miles on my F-series rotors and Metal pads in the last 4 weeks.XTR 985 160/140. Up until 1 week ago I was only able to test these in dry conditions, but in the last week I've done 3 rides in the rain - Canadian Rockies. The Metal pads are lasting very well in the wet/mud, much better than the original carbon pads.
    I did a test on one ride by leaving the Metal pads in the rear and switched the front to the original carbon pads as we were climbing up to the high Alpine then riding a fast screaming DH for approx. 1/2 hours. I tried applying the brakes equally on the way down. The carbon pads did squeal at times when hot, the Metal pads remained silent the entire DH. Very pleased with the new rotors and Metal pads, they will be going on future bike builds.
    If you plan on getting these rotors but not the metal pads - don't bother. They are terrible in the mountains with any real DH's.

mtbr member
    Delete
    Last edited by TracksFromHell; 10-14-2014 at 09:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    195lb rider- I'm running SICCC rotors on two bikes.
    Bike #1 has older C-processed and Bike #2 has the latest 2014 rotors no more than a month old.
    Both are 29ers, 200/180mm, Avid X0, and the siccc pads.
    Mostly single track and some urban- no downhill.

They both stop with the same power and modulation, which is very good. I can stop on a dime if need be, about the same as the 180/200 steel/organic setup.
    I ran the older rotors before being C-processed and also w/o the siccc pads and they could slow down but couldn't stop if needed.

The newer 2014 rotors are borderline too thick- when used with new pads there was zero gap and only after getting the pads worn in some they finally no longer rub all the time. Also both of the 2014 rotors have been squalling VERY loud. Haven't really run them wet yet.
    They are much lighter than steel (a couple oz dropped per axle) and they look great.

Both times I've ordered from them (via the website) it's taken almost 6 months to get my order in. HORRIBLE communication, as usual.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colmor View Post
    Also both of the 2014 rotors have been squalling VERY loud...

Both times I've ordered from them (via the website) it's taken almost 6 months to get my order in. HORRIBLE communication, as usual.
    Thanks for the review but if your 2014 rotors were ordered 6-months ago, and both are squealing, then I would suspect you were shipped another set of the C-Processed rotors, not the new F-Processed rotors.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Thanks for the review but if your 2014 rotors were ordered 6-months ago, and both are squealing, then I would suspect you were shipped another set of the C-Processed rotors, not the new F-Processed rotors.
    Only the 2014 ones are squalling (both front and rear). The older C-processed ones are dead silent (both front and rear). The 2014 are thicker overall, smaller window cutouts, and have real bolt holes vs bolt slots. The surface has a more pronounced weave pattern to it as well. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colmor View Post
    The 2014 are thicker overall, smaller window cutouts, and have real bolt holes vs bolt slots. The surface has a more pronounced weave pattern to it as well. Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Again, still not convinced you have F-Processed rotors as you have posted an approximate description of the 4 last generation C-Processed rotors that I ordered/received late February/March time frame!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks. Again, still not convinced you have F-Processed rotors as you have posted an approximate description of the 4 last generation C-Processed rotors that I ordered/received late February/March time frame!
    As well I doubt you have the new Metal pads, as they have only been out for a couple of months. As mentioned in my post above, I was getting squealing with the original Kettle carbon pads. Just returned from a week of MTBing in the Rockies with several long descents and the Metal pads remained silent.

mtbr member
    Delete
    Last edited by TracksFromHell; 10-14-2014 at 09:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Does the "F" at the start of the SN mean anything?

mtbr member
    Sorry, that was a typo. Should be F-Series rotors. Based on Aaron's reply about my inquiry about discount codes for exchanging C-Processed rotors for F-Series, I still think the posts above are about C-Processed rotors:

"Thinner. Lighter. Slight strength increase. The pads are the most improved over that time. "