mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Juicy bleeding/setup questions

Hi there,

I've been riding Juicy Carbons for about 3 months and I'm happy with the overall performance. However, I like a very instant engagement from lever to pad and was curious if anyone had any pointers regarding the bleed. You see, Avid insructs us in the manual to dial the pad contact knob all the way "out" before bleeding. This means after the bleed your pad contact is as instant as it can get. After I bleed, the lever still has some squish before it reaches the pad.

I've been bleeding the system without pushing the pistons back in since that makes the effective fluid line shorter so less fluid gets in. Then you press the lever after bleeding which makes the effective fluid line longer....which affects the instant pad contact.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has bled their Juicy's with the pad contact knob all the way "in", hoping to have more "instant" pad contact adjustment.

Thoughts? Pointers on the bleed?

ride hard take risks
    Snag XSL_WiLL as he rushes through he has these brakes & knows quite a bit about them.

mtbr member
    i just bled mine today (very simple, awesome design) and turned my dial "out" like it said. when you bleed them, it gives you instantaneous stopping, so much so that i had to put mine "in" quite a bit just to get it comfortable. so it does give me some room to dial out when the pads wear. however, i dont know if it is possible or wise to put it in at all.

Meh.
    I have not tried bleeding them with the dials in. With my bleed, I only get about 5mm of pull before lock, so I actually dialed the knob in quite a bit. I'm guessing that you didn't top off the bleed hole before closing it. Try adding a few drops of fluid at the lever bleed hole, or leave the lever bleed hole closed and push fluid in from the caliper bleed hole. After you feel some real resistance, tilt the bike sideways, close the clamp, remove, close off bleed valve.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I have not tried bleeding them with the dials in. With my bleed, I only get about 5mm of pull before lock, so I actually dialed the knob in quite a bit. I'm guessing that you didn't top off the bleed hole before closing it. Try adding a few drops of fluid at the lever bleed hole, or leave the lever bleed hole closed and push fluid in from the caliper bleed hole. After you feel some real resistance, tilt the bike sideways, close the clamp, remove, close off bleed valve.
    Ya, I topped off the bleed hole, I must just have some air in the line, which is surprising considering how fool proof the bleed kit is.

If at first you don't succeed...bleed, bleed again.

Members who have read this thread: 0