Juicy 7's vs Ultimates- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Juicy 7's vs Ultimates

Currently run 7's on my hardtail, and am very happy with the performance. However I'm trying to carve some weight off it, so an upgrade to Ultimates might be on the cards.

Anybody tried the 2 back to back? Any performance differences? I don't want to find that the Ultimates have sacrificed outright braking performance (heat dissipation etc) by carving off too much metal ( A problem I had when I "upgraded" my Hope Minis to Monominis) . I do some long, steep, twisty Alpine singletrack riding that can be pretty much full on braking for 1/2 hour or so, and don't want to find I get fading issues....

Cheers,

Jon

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Formula oro puros.....

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Ultimates

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards
    Currently run 7's on my hardtail, and am very happy with the performance. However I'm trying to carve some weight off it, so an upgrade to Ultimates might be on the cards.

Anybody tried the 2 back to back? Any performance differences? I don't want to find that the Ultimates have sacrificed outright braking performance (heat dissipation etc) by carving off too much metal ( A problem I had when I "upgraded" my Hope Minis to Monominis) . I do some long, steep, twisty Alpine singletrack riding that can be pretty much full on braking for 1/2 hour or so, and don't want to find I get fading issues....

Cheers,

Jon
    After reading all the good reviews about the Ultimates, I'm picking up a set.I have 7's on my other bike, so hopefully next week I'll have a good idea. Nino's post about the german tests suggested that they will be just fine..
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards

Cheers,

Jon
    Have you looked at other parts to save weight on already?

mtbr member
    Other than the forks (Pikes, which will get swapped for Pace RC41 XCAM/bolt through or '07 Minute/bolt through), the rest of it is all pretty decent, light, high end stuff. (King, XO, Xmax XL, Thomson, RF, USE Ti post etc). I'm reluctant to change the wheels, as they're reasonably light, but seem to be bloody bombproof.

I can probably wangle a deal on the Avids, so I'm not really interested in Formula.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The claimed weight saving is 70 grams isn't it?
    As far as I can see, you could take off the rubber boots on the lever and save 10 grams there...
    And the 60 grams claimed isn't gonna give you diddly squat if you're happy with your current performance. I have the Juicy Carbons, and losing another 40 grams isn't going to effect how I ride my bike... shortening the hoses and putting on a matchmaker to slightly reduce the weight could help... but really, I'll change other things first.

Members who have read this thread: 0