Juicy 7's vs. Louise Freeride- Mtbr.com
    Extra Noob
    Aug 2006

Juicy 7's vs. Louise Freeride

There are great deals on both of these right now. They're going on a GT I-Drive 3.0; the fork will be 74mm post mount, after I get it.

The deal on the Weezies (think The Jeffersons) is for 180mm rotors with IS mount
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2006-MAGURA-...QQcmdZViewItem

The deal on the Avids is for 160mm rotors which are post mount on the front. http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=1132

Which brake system is better? The research I've done has shown that Avids have a tendency to squeak but once corrected are great.

Are there adapters made to mount the Louise on the front?

Should I get the Magura's as they are less expensive and have larger rotors?

Great forum. Thanks again.

Meh.
    Unless the Magura is a post mount with an adapter, or a 160mm caliper with an adapter, you will have to up the rotor size (minimum 10mm) to fit it to a post mount adapter and fork.

eBay has some good deals on new J7 sets as well.

Both are great brakes. The Maguras can be a little more finicky to set up and bleed.

I would make sure that your fork will be okay with the larger rotor. And 180s are probably a little overkill for XC riding.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I like the Avid's better

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessPastor
    There are great deals on both of these right now. They're going on a GT I-Drive 3.0; the fork will be 74mm post mount, after I get it.

The deal on the Weezies (think The Jeffersons) is for 180mm rotors with IS mount
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2006-MAGURA-...QQcmdZViewItem

The deal on the Avids is for 160mm rotors which are post mount on the front. http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...OD&ProdID=1132

Which brake system is better? The research I've done has shown that Avids have a tendency to squeak but once corrected are great.

Are there adapters made to mount the Louise on the front?

Should I get the Magura's as they are less expensive and have larger rotors?

Great forum. Thanks again.
    I like post systems better. Plus, I like the ergonomics of the Avid's better. The Magura was more problematic to keep unwanted rubbing at bay. The Magura system is smoother though with a softer feel. Both are good but I prefer the Avid system more.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have used the brakes you mention (amongst others) and while they are both excellent i have to say that for a trail bike, my vote has to go Shimano saint/XT- superb feel and control that overshadows the others.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I would get the Juciy 7s. I love mine and SRAM costumer service can't be beat.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Can't disagree with that opinion

Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE
    I have used the brakes you mention (amongst others) and while they are both excellent i have to say that for a trail bike, my vote has to go Shimano saint/XT- superb feel and control that overshadows the others.
    I really like the modulation of the XT brake. It is the best I have tried....

Jaybo

No, that's not phonetic
    I liked most stuff about my two sets of J7s, but they just would NOT shut up if they got damp. Wet = squeal no matter what. Now I own about 6 sets of Maguras and couldn't be happier. If you live in a dry place, Avid, if it's wet, Magura.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I really like the modulation of the XT brake. It is the best I have tried....

Jaybo
    Another vote for XT... but from those 2.. I take the Maguras...

Members who have read this thread: 0