Juicy 7 - pad contact maxed out to get good throw- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Juicy 7 - pad contact maxed out to get good throw

My Juicy 7's have had a peculiar quirk since day one. The front brake works fine, no probs. But the rear...to get good lever throw and not bottom out the lever on the bar, I have to have the pad contact adj. turned to the max, and even then the feel isn't great. The brakes have been bled multiple times. The lever reach adj is set the same for front and rear. I can see both rear caliper pistons moving freely...Do I need to try rebuilding the master cylinder? Lines are Goodridge braided. Front brake is rock solid, but the rear just doesn't seem to be performing properly.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Make sure that there are no leaks! I'm gonna guess that you don't have enough fluid in the system. Try bleeding them without a bleed block ( leave the caliper and rear wheel on the bike)

Make sure you turn the PCA all the way out when you bleed!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Weird, same thing is happening to me with the same brakes. Do they start to work better after they heat up, or you have been riding for a bit? Mine do, which thinking about it, might mean that they need more fluid. I will try it and then update!
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    May 2009
    well, some brake pads work better when they heat up (some aftermarket pads say "does not require heat to create friction" or somthing along the lines of that)

Sheffield,South Yorkshire
    Could be the Goodridge hose.A few reports over here have the same problems with the rear brake fitted with Goodridge hoses.Front ok,rear crap.That's why i fitted Jagwire braided on my Juicy Ultimates,upto now they've been good,although the front always feels better than the rearand to get a good feel i have to wind the reach out as far as comfortable.

mtbr member
    Aloha,

One of the things I've noticed is if I try to bleed the brake with the reach adjusted too far in (I have small hands), then the bleed and therefore the contact adjustment doesn't seem to work very well. I throw the reach adjustment so the lever is out a ways. I set the contact adjustment a couple of full turns "in" from max. Then I do a full bleed. Once that is done, then I am able to make the adjustments in reach and contact so the rear feels just like the front. Good luck, hope that helps out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Mine is similar. Front is fine, rear works but is meh. I've bleed a few times to no result. I'm pretty sure there is a small air bubble somewhere. Next bleed I'm going to hand them up overnight to get the air bubbles to move up and then give it a solid bleed.

Members who have read this thread: 0