Juicy 7 for DH/FR??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Juicy 7 for DH/FR??

Would like input on this. I weigh 185lbs and ride a Yeti AS-X in all mtn, some FR and DH runs but it is no way a shuttle bike. Most of the DH I do is technical with drops and switches and lots of rocks (Northern AZ). Because I rarely bomb DH in really open smooth conditions where I can pick up tremendous speed, what does everyone think of Juicy Sevens with a 203 rotor up front and a 185 rotor out back?? Or should I jump for the Codes with same rotors? Any input appreciated. Once again, NOT a shuttle bike at all.

Meh.
    The Juicy 7s should be adequate for that type of riding. My suggestion is to flush out all the factory fluid with your choice of a high performance glycol based DOT fluid. If you don't like the stock pads, a set of Galfer or EBC Reds will feel like bubble gum on hot asphalt. The Codes will probably be overkill for the type of riding you are describing.

Others will suggest Formula or Shimano brakes. They are fine brakes as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks will, I am definately open for considering other models and makes. Anyone know about Hope and what would be comparable to Avids J7 with same size rotors????

Meh.
    Shimano XTs are a pretty nice brake. You'll probably find some deals on the 07s now that the 08s are out. The old 4pot XTs are real nice. I've got a pair. Saints and XTs are pretty much the same other than color.

I like Magura Louise FR as well. Though they can be a bit finicky to bleed.

Hopes can be a bit tricky to set up. Most Hope riders are very pleased with their brakes.

I've had 3 sets of J7s and got a bunch of buddy's to convert. I've been happy with the performance. Many people have had complaints with noise or stuttering. A lot of the time it has to do with improper set up. But sometimes these brakes just don't play nice with certain rotor/pad/wheel/frame/fork combos.

ride hard take risks
    If your looking for power in a brake the J7's have plenty especially when paired with the DB levers.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    The Juicy 7s should be adequate for that type of riding. My suggestion is to flush out all the factory fluid with your choice of a high performance glycol based DOT fluid. If you don't like the stock pads, a set of Galfer or EBC Reds will feel like bubble gum on hot asphalt. The Codes will probably be overkill for the type of riding you are describing.
    Others will suggest Formula or Shimano brakes. They are fine brakes as well.

Agreed, but you won't have to worry about any fading issues in the fututre, IF you do start doing some lengthy dh runs. My 7's eventually began fading on dh runs after I put them on my VP Free, they came w/my 04 Bullit. I would go w/the Codes, but then I tend to like things over-built = over-kill, but I don't have to worry as much about gettin' up from a crash and somthin' not workin'.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Can the J7's be more heat resistant with better fluid and or rotor/pad combo? Will What would make them more beefy?

Meh.
    Yes, they can handle and dissipate heat better with different rotors. A better or even new fluid can raise the boiling point. Pads can make a difference as well.

nice marmot.
    A better or even new fluid can raise the boiling point.

would you recommend something other than what comes in the juicy bleed kit?
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

Meh.
    I've used Motul DOT 5.1 and RBF600 with good luck. Just look up the wet and dry boiling points on each of the bottles. Some fluids have lower moisture absorption than others which is nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0