Juicy 3's vs BB7's- Mtbr.com
    Kevin
    May 2010

Juicy 3's vs BB7's

Juicy 3's/5's vs BB7's

Replacing my promax cable disks... Do I look at staying cable with the bb7's, or changing over to Hydraulics?

I'll be doing entry to mid level trail riding... no downhill.

AZ
    banned
    BB 7's , Juicy 3's are not all that dependable IMHO .

Kevin
    May 2010
    I put 5's in there as well...

I'm mostly trying to decide if it's worthwhile to change to hydraulics... Seems like the BB7's will be the cheapest route ($90 for both f/r) and I shouldn't need to replace the cables or the levers...

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    You will LOVE the Avid BB7...have fun!!!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Kevin
    May 2010
    should I just leave my brand new promax rotors on until they warp and then replace them with the avid bb7 rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoKevin
    should I just leave my brand new promax rotors on until they warp and then replace them with the avid bb7 rotors?
    Keep the Promax rotors only if the BB7 came with the craptastic Roundagon(thick, hexagon rotors) rotors. If they came with the G2 rotors(cross-drilled and vented)...they are far superior than anything Promax ever made.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Kevin
    May 2010
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Brake+09.aspx

Those rotors... I'm assuming those are the "roundagons"...

I'm correct in that I don't need to replace the levers or cables to switch over to the bb7's... right?

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Brake+09.aspx

Those rotors... I'm assuming those are the "roundagons"...

I'm correct in that I don't need to replace the levers or cables to switch over to the bb7's... right?
    Those are it. Your existing levers and cables will work.

Kevin
    May 2010
    Sweet... Thanks Zachariah and AZ.MTNS. Just for the cost I think I'll do the BB7's...

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Juicy 3's are MUCH better then BB7's. Funny how these threads always bring out the BB7 huggers.

If you spend the extra you wont be dissapointed. Very powerful, great modulation. BB7's dont come close and i've used both.

mtbr member
    let me start by saying I've never used BB7's but have many friends that ride with them. I currently have Juicy 3's and they work great. Even better with metallic pads.

Kevin
    May 2010
    For the $$... it seems like the BB7's would be enough for me on this bike. If I really get into this sport, then I'm sure I'll eventually get a better frame as a starting point. The folding frame of my montague paratrooper definitely has some heft to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the BB7's w/ roundagons and stock pads and theyre still kick ass. Warped my rotors a touch. PRobably from the learning curve of learnign how to adjust the BB7's but theyre very nice and strong.

Never used hydraulics on the other side. and these are my first discs. for what its worth

Only gripe is I wish they made a nicer version with some good machining and tolerances.
    They are a bit flexy and plasticky at times. But they work and are simple to set and adjust.

I went to a bike store the other day and 4 out of 5 bikes w/ hydraulic discs were dragging the pads and none of the bb7 models were. didnt inspire confidence in the bike store either. one of the bikes for sale didnt even have the tire bead seated and this was in fairfax, ca. haha

Off the back...
    Juicy 3 are better than BB7. I'd only consider BB7s again if I wanted to use road levers.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

All 26.5" all the time!
    The hydros will be easier to live with, but the mechanicals can work just as well with careful setup and maintenance.

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Dont listen to the BB7 huggers. BB7's will never work as well as Juicy 3's.

OP: You will be so much more pleased if you went with 3's or 5's. You will stop your bike with one finger and never need to adjust the brakes again.

Find a second hand set on eBay. I got second hand Juicy 5's for less then $130!

Shite's all over BB7's.

mtbr member
    I would go Juicy's for the arm pump alone. Mechanicals fight you the entire time you hold them, so on those long descents, that's when you notice the hydraulics. I have plenty of friends that run juicy 3's and love them. I have the sevens and i don't notice much difference. Both 3's and 7's self adjust and once you set them up, they're good until you have to bleed them, which takes under 30 minutes for all the naysayers.

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jonzinmj
    I would go Juicy's for the arm pump alone. Mechanicals fight you the entire time you hold them, so on those long descents, that's when you notice the hydraulics. I have plenty of friends that run juicy 3's and love them. I have the sevens and i don't notice much difference. Both 3's and 7's self adjust and once you set them up, they're good until you have to bleed them, which takes under 30 minutes for all the naysayers.
    I have sevens and fives and have used 3's when brand new and couldn't tell the difference either!!

mtbr member
    I am always amazed by how many mountain bikers must have tiny, girlie hands. BB7 paired with a good lever have good modulation. I can easily lock my wheels with one finger (29er, 180/160 rotors) and have no hand issues on long down hills either. Are you guys like 14 or so?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimalist
    I am always amazed by how many mountain bikers must have tiny, girlie hands. BB7 paired with a good lever have good modulation. I can easily lock my wheels with one finger (29er, 180/160 rotors) and have no hand issues on long down hills either. Are you guys like 14 or so?
    +1
    Especially considering the OP says he won't be riding downhill trails, it unclear how much practical benefit he'd really get with hydros, particularly in a match up with lower-end hydros and totally-dependable, high-quality mechs.

There may be culty BB7 huggers out there, but that doesn't necessary reflect why some people prefer them. I've got a bike with Juicy 7s and another with BB7s. While the Juicys are clearly less-effort, my BB7s in no way seem lacking, especially if I'm willing to -- heaven forbid -- use the forearm and hand muscles a bit more.

Like a lot of these sort of 'which one should I buy' questions, it depends on the expected riding, and priorities. If your number one priority is reducing hand fatigue, ColoradoKevin, then be sure to look for good hydros. Good hydros will also self-adjust, modulate well, shave a few extra grams, etc. If you want a relatively inexpensive, high-quality, easily adjustable, and self-serviceable brakes, you can't go wrong with BB7s. Most of us optimize these things, rather than maximizing. Plus, I try to make sure that the bike and I are at least splitting the work...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Juicy 3.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimalist

It's not that.

Most people don't seem to understand that the linkage between the lever and brake is the most important part of the system. Lousy cables and/or installation = lousy brakes.

I've got a bike with hydros and another with BB7s, and there's no practical difference between the two types when it comes to stopping power.

Pretty in Pink
    I DO have girlie hands, but that wasnt my reason for going J5's I love the feel, I love not having to micro adjust constantly. I loved my BB7;s when I had them, then I got J5's and then Elixirs, and I absolutely love the modulation, feel, and ease of use. I got tired of adjusting every thing on my bike constantly, I am so glad that companies are making components that are set it and forget it now.

+1 on the Juicys
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Another vote for the Juicy 3s, I've had three bikes with them, no issues to speak of, you just can't get that modulation out of a cable brake.

Linoleum Knife
    Shimano LX or SLX Hydros

I've had both bb7 and J3. Both were initially really nice IF you get them set up and / or bled correctly. The lever bushings on the J3's got loose and started rattling after 2 years, MC's quit working well. The BB7s just wore out after 2 or 3 seasons.

Both are OK, and will last you a couple years - but the Shimano LX brakes I have look and work like new after 4 years.

Did I catch a niner+?
    If you want some J3's I have a set that I need to get rid of. I have just the brakes, cables, and levers no rotors. PM me if interested, they're the J3's NOT the J3.5s
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Kevin
    May 2010
    Mr. Pink...

I have brand new 160mm rotors on the bike, so that isn't an issue.

PM me with how much you'd like to part with them for, the condition, what they were used for, and how long you've had them. Thanks!

Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Killer deal: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Brakes+Oe.aspx

edit: rears are gone, fronts still a good deal

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I really love the BB7 with Paul's levers combination on my main bike.

Have BB3's on other bikes too...to me the difference is: BB7's need occasional adjusting and TLC to be set up perfectly. No doubt, hydraulics "feel" better, but i don't believe they have any more braking "power".
    whatever...

Kevin
    May 2010
    I found a better deal than jenson for a 185 front and a 160 rear juicy 3's.

I'm a total car guy, and for biasing reasons, the front in sports cars are always bigger. Would it be advantageous to do 185's up front and 160 in the rear? And will 185's fit where my 160's are?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I found a better deal than jenson for a 185 front and a 160 rear juicy 3's.

I'm a total car guy, and for biasing reasons, the front in sports cars are always bigger. Would it be advantageous to do 185's up front and 160 in the rear? And will 185's fit where my 160's are?
    Kevin, a lot of folks run a larger rotor up front for the same reason cars do, that being, the majority of your stopping power will be up front. It's nice for faster riding, and gravity to have bigger rotors, but the cost is weight. If you are riding xc then a lot of folks around here (Boulder) use 6 front and rear. I personally like 7" up front, but i like to ride downhill fast. To use the 7" rotor up front you will need a caliper adapter to space out the caliper to fit the larger rotor. The one show below is for Hayes, but you can get one from whatever brand brake you are using.

See here:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/143...ount-Forks.htm
    -elake

"I don't half-a$$ anything, for me it's whole-a$$ or nothing."
    -elake

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by elake
    Kevin, a lot of folks run a larger rotor up front for the same reason cars do, that being, the majority of your stopping power will be up front. It's nice for faster riding, and gravity to have bigger rotors, but the cost is weight. If you are riding xc then a lot of folks around here (Boulder) use 6 front and rear. I personally like 7" up front, but i like to ride downhill fast. To use the 7" rotor up front you will need a caliper adapter to space out the caliper to fit the larger rotor. The one show below is for Hayes, but you can get one from whatever brand brake you are using.

See here:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/143...ount-Forks.htm
    If its speced out as a 185 front 160 rear (same adapter anyway) Then he will not have to buy the adapter it will be included in the kit.

I run 6" front and rear but I also weigh just over 100 lbs, and my bike just under 30, so there isnt much to stop even at speed.
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

Kevin
    May 2010
    I found out that I had a $180 balance on my paypal account so I shelled for 185 front 160 rear Juicy 3's

$130 for front and rears

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Shimano hydros for the win. The best feel and dependability of any disc brake I've tried. BB7's aren't bad at all though if you wanna go that route; just make sure they are adjusted correctly.

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    GOOD decision Kevin...you wont regret it!

Members who have read this thread: 0