Juicy 3s Rubbing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Juicy 3s Rubbing

The Juicy 3s that came on my bike worked great for about 3 months. Now, the back one rubs constantly. It's been to 1 bike shop 3 times and once to 2 other shops. They adjust it and it works good for about 1/2 hour then starts rubbing again. I took the rotor off and checked it myself and it's straight. Any ideas on how to get rid of this problem?
    "When God made me he must not have been paying much attention because I came out wrong...just plain wrong!"
    South Park

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    to begin with, place the bike on a work stand or upside down.

Major assumptions before you proceed. Rotors are aligned. Brake pistons are not too sticky.

Clean the calipers by blasting it with brake cleaning spray. this takes out crud from the pistons and applies a very light lubricant to them. Cycle the brakes between blasts.

Remove one of the calipers from the bike. Clean the hardware. Grease the washers lightly. Note the assembly order. Reassemble the caliper to the bike applying thread locker. Tighten the bolt only finger tight. Depress the brake lever. This should center the caliper. Test the centering by spinning the wheel. Adjust as needed by tapping the caliper with a plastic screw driver handle. This will take some time. Trial and error. When done, torque them down and allow the thread locker to cure.

Repeat on the other caliper.

mtbr member
    Not sure about the pistons sticking. I mentioned that to 1 of the shops I took it to and they said the piston was fine. I'll try spraying the calipers with brake cleaner to see if that helps. That stuff won't eat any of the seals will it?
    "When God made me he must not have been paying much attention because I came out wrong...just plain wrong!"
    South Park

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You need to keep the spray away from hub. I use a paper towel behind the caliper. I've been using the spray on my juicys for about 6 months with no problem. I think that the shields would be no different from car brakes.

Btw, the brakes will squeal after you clean them. Make a couple of runs and brake hard. That'll git them right.

mtbr member
    Problem solved. I took off the caliper to check the pistons and they are hanging up bigtime. Called Avid to see what I should do and it turns out it is a known problem. The piston bore tolerance was too tight on some of the Juicy 3s. Took the bike to my LBS, they called Avid and a new set of brakes is on the way.
    South Park

mtbr member
    Ahh....problem not solved. Avid sent the dealership a new set of calipers. They installed them and even bled them twice and the pistons are still sticking. They're lost for an answer. I guess they are going to call Avid today and see if the levers could be causing the problem. God I miss my rim brakes!
    South Park

Members who have read this thread: 0