mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Juicy 3 to Stroker Trail

I was speaking with a buddy of mine about brakes and my dislike of my juicy 3s. He had them also when he first started riding a few years back and he had the same issues I am, mainly a squeezing almost to the grips before the wheels lock up. He now has connections and can get me the trails for $80 a piece. Is this a worthy upgrade or do I hold out til next season? I ride XC/Trail in Park City, UT if that helps any on FSR XC 09
    Last edited by roondogger87; 07-31-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Nerdy Jock
    Jun 2008
    I've heard better reviews about the juicy 3's than stroker trails. I'd recommend you just get new brake pads and wait to buy better brakes til next year.

Sent from my fingers.
    Current bike: Rocky Mountain ETS-X 70

Enthusiast
    I have some Stroker Grams, which I believe are essentially the same as the Trails. They are horrible. I too recommend saving for something better.

mtbr member extraordinair
    I have to agree...the stroker trails are not much of an upgrade if at all. In fact I just removed a set and replaced them with BB7s.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have Stroker Trails and Juicy Three's.. I could afford better but both do the job so I am sticking with both for now! In fact, the Hayes is as or almost as powerful and certainly as well or better behaved as just about any brake out there IMO.

I prefer the Stroker T, as it is a fit and forget brake.. the rotors are not as flimsy as the Juicy (bent rotors are the cause of a lot of the noise problems with Juicy brakes) so there is no come-and-go noise like on the Juicy ..the Hayes also has more power.

As for the Juicy pulling to the lever, that has to be an issue with your bleeding skills surely? Mine don't pull to the lever, but then I am good at bleeding.

I rubber band the levers on both systems when not in use, hardens the feel right up....

I like the Juicy Three and Hayes Stroker Trail.. so quite what the guys above are warbling about I don't know. Replacing Hayes Stroker Trails with BB7's? That's retarded.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Have a read at this:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=stroker+trail

There is a design defect in the stroker trail caliper that causes the pads to unclip from the retainer. This causes the squealing and vibration. I fought this issue for over a year before I finally junked the set.
    Replacing them with BB7s is retarded? That statement is retarded. BB7s have proven themselves time and time again, and they are the best performance-to-cost value out there. Unless you are one of the sheep that thinks you need hydro brakes to be cool...
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That's a design fault I have never experienced. The only thing horrid about the Stroker Trail is the messy bleeding process. However, despite the Juicy allowing for a far less messy bleed, I think you can bleed the Hayes better because you can apply pressure at the syringe (I use the Avid Bleed kit to bleed my Hayes and Juicy brakes) at the caliper end of the Hayes, thus dissipating virtually all of the air and creating a very solid feel. Though to be fair, you could mess around with the Juoicy and do something similar by bleeding with a slimmer spacer.

Personally I think the Hayes Stroker Trail is a good brake. It's ugly but IME reliable, though the levers on the Juicy 3 are even uglier...

As for cable discs? What is it with the Americans and cable disc brakes? Admittedly I have never tried BB7's, but I could never consider them - they are cable! Cable is yuck.

I'm waiting to see what Hope do next. Want some more British stuff on my bikes.

ronbo613
    I had nothing but problems with Stroker Trails until one of the master cylinders failed completely after being rebuilt by the Hayes factory. Never had problems with the Hayes Mag 9 I owned before and the Hayes customer service was good, but the Trails were really bad. I replaced the Trails with Shimano XT 775, the difference is night and day.