mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Juggling different brakes

Well I posted here about a week ago on what my first hydros should be, and I decided I would buy juicy fives until I rode them at my LBS, Now Im looking at new options

Avid codes w/ 185 mm rotors:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...08---185mm.htm

MAgura Louise BAT Carbon:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/164...Disc-Brake.htm

Shimano LX m585

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/163...Disc-Brake.htm
    What kind of hub do you have to have to mount these?(LX's)

Shimano saint

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/163...Brake-2007.htm
    Do I have to have a saint hub to mount these?

THe maguras are really pushing my budget by about 50 bucks, is it worth it. Im leaning towards the codes right now...
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

ride hard take risks
    The Codes are a powerful brake like many of the Avid line very on or off.

The radial design makes for incredible feed back through the lever for full brake control.

The Shimano's you will need Shimano hubs.

Another Radial to look at.

http://www.spadout.com/p/hayes-stroker-trail-brake/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The guys at my LBS said to stay away from hayes, and from the experience and feedback Ive read I am going to try to do that, what do you mean on or off for the codes? Are you talking about adjustment or actual braking?
    Buy My 2010 Mint COndition Transition Covert LARGE 150mm Full suspension. 2000 firm see classified add

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain biker 41
    The guys at my LBS said to stay away from hayes, and from the experience and feedback Ive read I am going to try to do that, what do you mean on or off for the codes? Are you talking about adjustment or actual braking?
    Who's your LBS guy??
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    I have heard nothing but great things on the stroker line from hayes. This is coming avid Avid users.

TLL
    mtbr member
    What kind of bike? Saints would probably be overkill.

Codes and Louises would be a good choice. I'd also give Formula k18's or K24's a look.

Slick Rick
    You can use any kind of rotor with those Shimano's

I am running Avid rotors with my LX hyrdros

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Who's your LBS guy??
    You wouldn't know him, Im in socal, but he knows his Sh!t.....He used to be a pro mtbr til he had an accident, now hes a roadie, he determines the quality of disc braks by how many repairs come in and what is wrong w/ them.

My bike set up is a KHS FS w/ 6 inches front and rear, I only weigh 130#, I want some brakes that once I set them up are RELIABLE, SLOW YOU DOWN , and are around a bill and a half each. I

m willing to give the strokers a shot, but from my past experience with hayes Im not so sure, I was really leaning towards the code 5's........discuss

ride hard take risks
    You wouldn't know him, Im in socal, but he knows his Sh!t.....He used to be a pro mtbr til he had an accident, now hes a roadie, he determines the quality of disc braks by how many repairs come in and what is wrong w/ them.

My bike set up is a KHS FS w/ 6 inches front and rear, I only weigh 130#, I want some brakes that once I set them up are RELIABLE, SLOW YOU DOWN , and are around a bill and a half each. I

m willing to give the strokers a shot, but from my past experience with hayes Im not so sure, I was really leaning towards the code 5's........discuss
    Sounds like your asking in the wrong place your LBS guy has your answer.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    at 130lbs... codes will be way over kill for your weight... Hell, even the Juicies might feel a little too strong. I've always felt the Avids were very grabby unlike Hayes brakes which have always been awesome with modulation. And with the Stroker Trails, it's awesome modulation with power to boot...

Bike to the Bone...
    I had some HFX 9, which was one of the low entry Hayes, and they worked pretty well for the time I had them. They had some problems when the levels keep closing on the handlebar, but loctite worked fine with them... The deal is that they are pretty much on of off. But no problem.

Last saturday I was at a bike shop, and they had some bikes with the strokers, and while I didn't ride any one, the lever feel felt fine.

I had some XT, and they work pretty well. And you don't need shimano hubs to make them work. The newer XT I think that they don't come with rotors, so you can choose either a 6 bolt or a centerlock. What you need to consider when buying shimano brakes is that you need to buy almost everything appart (caliper, cables and levers).

I'm going for the Magura Louise BAT, have seen them, but haven't tested them. So I can't really coment on those, but everything I've read leads me to believe that I'll like them. The deal about the link you sent, is that the Louise BAT that pricepoint offer is only for the rear and last years model. If you could get both brakes (front and rear) they might be very good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    S
    ounds like your asking in the wrong place your LBS guy has your answer
    I have plenty of respect for him, but considering he doesn't ride disc, you only hear about the problems, not how great they are, hence me posting here....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Any one have any expierence with the formula oros K24?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Formula K24's

are the bomb! I rode them for a year and a half with a F180/R160 set-up. I moved up to
    Da One's. Both are excellent brakes. The modulation is better on the One's. The power is excellent on both brakes, but definitely stronger on the One's.

The K24's are best deal in the Formula line. They have all the features, (including the pad contact lever, similar to the Avid red dial). Unlike a lot of other brands, you don't need after market rotors, levers or pads. All the Formula pieces work beautifully and they are very powerful.

Unlike some other opinions expressed in this thread, I believe the advantage is to have the
    best brakes you can afford for a given weight and price. ie. Stronger brakes are better, because they do the work with less effort (heat) and they last longer.

Cheers,

Kane

Members who have read this thread: 0