To Ice Tech or not to Ice Tech?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

To Ice Tech or not to Ice Tech?

I am about to replace my XT brakes (77X) with the latest (785). They come without rotors.

The question is whether to replace the current rotors with the new ice tech rotors. Currently I use Avid and Magura rotors with the XT calipers, and they work well. What advantage do the ice tech rotors have over plain steel rotors? I don't think I experienced brake fade due to heating so far, or at least I did not notice.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    What advantage do the ice tech rotors have over plain steel rotors?
    The Ice-Tech rotors are laminated, ie. a steel-aluminum-steel sandwich. The aluminum core, Al being a being a better heat conductor than steel, supposedly 'draws' the heat away from the surface of the rotor and redistributes it throughout the rotor better than a plain stainless steel rotor.

What advantage do the ice tech rotors have over plain steel rotors? I don't think I experienced brake fade due to heating so far, or at least I did not notice.
    In that case I would keep riding the rotors you already have. You can always upgrade if your current rotors wear out or if brake fade somehow becomes a problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    expensive and i found it really difficult to true and it was not straight from new

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ice Tech Rotors:

Spendy.
    Perform Great.
    Wear down quick.

XT Brakes:

Awesome
    Totally worth it.
    Work great with other manufacturer's rotors.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to the XT calipers. I have to say the 77X are awesome, if the 785 are little bit better they will be super awesome. The steel rotors are easy to true, and the avid rotors are quiet.

I wonder if the IceTech rotors improves braking overall, or only perform better under extreme heat. Hard to true is really a downer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have run Avid and Ice Tech rotors with my m775's and haven't noticed any diff in fade.

Currently running Avid 180 front and Avid 160 rear, works great.

mtbr member
    If you have ever overheated your brakes you should go with them. If not skip it. FWIW, I was overheating my rear brake (Formula The One) on a regular basis with a 180 rotor and organic pads. I did install XTR brakes today with the Ice Tech rotors.

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    If you have ever overheated your brakes you should go with them. If not skip it. FWIW, I was overheating my rear brake (Formula The One) on a regular basis with a 180 rotor and organic pads. I did install XTR brakes today with the Ice Tech rotors.
    How are the Ice Tech's working out? I have read several posts complaining about warping. I'm wondering if they are less prone or more prone to warping.

mtbr member
    Been running the new XT 785s with Ice Techs for about a month now. Still bedding them in, so they squeal a little shortly before the wheel locks, but no issues with warping that I can see. I don't even have any caliper rub issues.

With the lack of complications and a simple way to bleed, they were a good choice for a hydro brake noob like me!
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looking forward to the XT calipers. I have to say the 77X are awesome, if the 785 are little bit better they will be super awesome. The steel rotors are easy to true, and the avid rotors are quiet.

I wonder if the IceTech rotors improves braking overall, or only perform better under extreme heat. Hard to true is really a downer.
    Depends on who you believe. Shimano says the IceTech helps reduce rotor temps, but the German bike magazine burnt up a set of IceTech rotors during their testing, literally burnt up. Shimano said the tests weren't indicative of real world usage, but the IceTech rotors were the only ones that self-destructed in the course of the testing. Personally I think they are a marketing gimmick with dubious performance benefit, designed so they can extract more money from your wallet.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by kiloman View Post
    Depends on who you believe. Shimano says the IceTech helps reduce rotor temps, but the German bike magazine burnt up a set of IceTech rotors during their testing, literally burnt up. Shimano said the tests weren't indicative of real world usage, but the IceTech rotors were the only ones that self-destructed in the course of the testing. Personally I think they are a marketing gimmick with dubious performance benefit, designed so they can extract more money from your wallet.
    Do you have a link to the test you mention? If the rotors were run up to temps that they'd never see in real world use, then the test was measuring nothing more than the melting point of the various rotor materials, which is irrelevant if the melting point is higher than what one would ever see during racing.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Do you have a link to the test you mention? If the rotors were run up to temps that they'd never see in real world use, then the test was measuring nothing more than the melting point of the various rotor materials, which is irrelevant if the melting point is higher than what one would ever see during racing.
    The article is free to download on their site.

I just read it. The lab test can perhaps be discussed, but the Ice-Tech rotors also died in a practical test.

I didn't know such a test had been made. It sure got my thoughts away from Ice-Tech stuff for now.
    The worst part is that Shimano claims that the test was not realistic. I for one fail to see how a test using a hill mountain and a rider, is not realistic.
    So instead of Shimano taking notes, and doing something about it, they put the head in the sand.

Magura

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post

Magura
    What article on what site?
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    I bought the XT brakes and rotors the other month. I put the brakes on my Turner and have been running them minus the rotors. The Ashima rotors seem to work fine with the new XT's. I'll keep the Ice Tech's as spares for later. They are heavier and more expensive than the Ashimas that are on there now. My suggestion would be stay with the rotors you have on there now and if you need to upgrade, do it later.

DIY all the way
    What article on what site?
    The article that contains the test you asked about.

On Bike Magazine's site.

Magura

Helmetless Crasher
    Not sure why it is so difficult to cut and paste a link to the article.

Is it true that they got the brakes up to 750 F by dragging them for the entirety of a 1,000 ft paved decent in the Alps?

If so, that's pretty funny.
    It's akin to applying your car's parking brake and driving around until the brakes melt.

I would agree with Shimano that the "test" has no relation to real world use. This seems especially true given the huge number of bikes that the rotors come as OE on, including DH bikes. Have not heard of any "melted ice-tech rotor stories".
    Last edited by Stumpjumpy; 11-13-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

DIY all the way
    Not sure why it is so difficult to cut and paste a link to the article.
    Let me explain it to you then.

You have been told where approximately the article can be found, and a Google search would reveal it for sure.

If you're too lazy to do a simple Google search, you can sure count on my time being to valuable to do the Google search for you.

Magura
    Last edited by Mr.Magura; 11-14-2012 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was using a set of 180 Shimano RT-75 with xtr. I had an issue with warping followed by rubbing and squealing. I ride with an I-Bert regularly which causes me to drag and brake a lot more than solo.
    Switched to ice tech rotors and have not had any more issues. It has only been a few months since I switched so I can't comment on durability but so far so good.

Helmetless Crasher

I just read it.

Magura
    Let me explain it to you then.

You have been told where approximately the article can be found, and a Google search would reveal it for sure.

If you're too lazy to do a simple Google search, you can sure count on my time being to valuable to do the Google search for you.

Magura
    "Google search"? Huh?

You said you had "just read" the article. Why would you need to do a google search to locate something you "just" read? That makes zero sense unless you do not know how to use a computer.

Let me explain it to you.

If you intend to discuss an article that you "just read" on a public forum, others in the thread expect you to post a link to the article, and/or post relevant excerps from the article, and/or post a link to the download area for the article. For whatever reason, you have refused to do any of the above, notwithstanding the fact that you "just read" the article and therefore no google search would be required by you, assuming you are a reasonably competent individual.

Moreover, as you can see, a simple Google search does not immediately retrieve the article:
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1112&bih=558

Further, as you can see, the German Bike Magazine site is printed in, uh . . . in German: Home*|*BIKE das Mountainbike Magazin - Europas Nr. 1

So finding the article requires navigating a site that is printed in German, downloading an article written in German and then translating it into English.

And you expect all of your fellow forum members in this thread to engage in this activity . . . instead of you simply posting what you "just read"?

Thanks, bro - you are a good dude.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You have to register to download the free article.

I also found it here:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6138119/Sch..._beim_Test.pdf

DIY all the way
    "Google search"? Huh?

You said you had "just read" the article. Why would you need to do a google search to locate something you "just" read? That makes zero sense unless you do not know how to use a computer.

Let me explain it to you.

If you intend to discuss an article that you "just read" on a public forum, others in the thread expect you to post a link to the article, and/or post relevant excerps from the article, and/or post a link to the download area for the article. For whatever reason, you have refused to do any of the above, notwithstanding the fact that you "just read" the article and therefore no google search would be required by you, assuming you are a reasonably competent individual.

Moreover, as you can see, a simple Google search does not immediately retrieve the article:
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1112&bih=558

Further, as you can see, the German Bike Magazine site is printed in, uh . . . in German: Home*|*BIKE das Mountainbike Magazin - Europas Nr. 1

So finding the article requires navigating a site that is printed in German, downloading an article written in German and then translating it into English.

And you expect all of your fellow forum members in this thread to engage in this activity . . . instead of you simply posting what you "just read"?

Thanks, bro - you are a good dude.
    Google search input : bike ice-tech test

Third from the top on first page.

So no, you didn't search, thus I feel no particular need to do it for you.

Magura

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    You have to register to download the free article.

I also found it here:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6138119/Sch..._beim_Test.pdf
    Thanks!
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Members who have read this thread: 0