I need more modulation (XTR levers, Avid BBDB calipers)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

I need more modulation (XTR levers, Avid BBDB calipers)

I have XTR ST-M952 shift/brake levers and Avid BBDB brake calipers with Avid Clean Sweep G2 160mm rotors. I feel like when I squeeze the lever, the amount of lever throw to go from no braking to slight braking to locking the wheels is not enough.I used maybe about half of the lever throw or a little bit less. I have played with some hydro brakes at bike shops and those levers feel really spongy. At first I thought this was a bad thing, but now that I am trying to do wheelies and manuals on my bike I find that I need very fine brake control to keep my balance.

Is there anything I can do or check to improve my setup?

Some other info: I have cleaned my rotors with alcohol and trued them with an adjustable wrench. I have fairly new Aztec brake pads on the front caliper and the year-or-two old stock pads on the rear. I can't really feel any difference in terms of modulation.

Also, the XTR levers have an adjustment called "Servo Wave" (see here for a video of how it works). I'm not sure if this adjustment is what I need. I set it up like in the video and the levers just made this annoying clicking sound as the cam you see in the video slid up and down the slot in the brake lever as it was squeezed. Honestly I don't know what this is used for. FYI the levers are V-brake and disc compatible.

Meh.
    Dial the static pad (closest to the spokes) of the BBDB out a little bit. This will force the rotor to flex over a bit more before it contacts the static pad.

The levers you have should have an adjustment that changes the anchor/pull point on the lever. Dialing it in may give you a bit more modulation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Dial the static pad (closest to the spokes) of the BBDB out a little bit. This will force the rotor to flex over a bit more before it contacts the static pad.

The levers you have should have an adjustment that changes the anchor/pull point on the lever. Dialing it in may give you a bit more modulation.
    Actually I just did this a couple of minutes ago after consulting the Avid manual. I had both pads centered around the disc, so I did what you said. I thought that the rotor flex was a bad thing but apparently that's the way it has to be set up. Things work better now

Members who have read this thread: 0