I need help with my disc brakes!!! ASAP- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

I need help with my disc brakes!!! ASAP

I have a Scott Spark bike... i have mechanical disc brakes... I guess the main question would be, will mechanical brake calipers work with this bike?(For the Rear) or do i have to have hydraulic? Someone please help me figure this out!! Thanks

mtbr member
    Would you like to reword your question. You say you "have mechanical disc brakes" and then ask, "will mechanical brake calipers work with this bike?"

Do you actually mean your bike has rim(cantilever) brakes? If so, you can use a mechanical disc brake provided your frame has a disc brake mount.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    No mechanical calipers are different than hydraulic calipers. Yes it has disc brake mounts but were they are located on the frame is right in the corner of the chainstay and seatstay. so my question would remain the same. Thanks

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Post a photo of your brake mount.

mtbr member
    Okay! So you've got mechanical disc brakes fitted and you're asking if mechanical brakes will work?

I know that mechanical disc brakes are different to hydraulic. I have both types on different bikes. They will however fit on any bike that will accept disc brakes. So what exactly are you asking?
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    I didn't even know mountain bikes came with mechanical disc brakes. Always thought these were for roadies who wanted their bikes to look cool.
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

mtbr member
    Lower level mtb's still may come with mechanical discs. I didn't know a Spark does. I guess it would depend on what year the Spark is. That said, as long as the current caliper is spec'd for post mount, then, nearly any modern hydraulic would work.

There are rare calipers that have IS mounting and that would be a little more difficult to replace. But, not impossible. The biggest issue may be the cable/hose routing. It may require some modification for that. Full length hose on hydraulics may not be able to insert into internal routing or you may need to grind the stops to get them to fit. All depends on what it has.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Would you like to reword your question. You say you "have mechanical disc brakes" and then ask, "will mechanical brake calipers work with this bike?"

Do you actually mean your bike has rim(cantilever) brakes? If so, you can use a mechanical disc brake provided your frame has a disc brake mount.
    Im with Ronnie, the OP question makes zero sense.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think he means he has V brakes and would like to use disc brakes as he has the mounts on the frame.

With that in mind, his hubs will need to be disc compatible with the 6 mounting holes.

So if he has both mounts on the frame and hub, then he can use mechanical disc OR hydros of his choosing.

If that is not what he means, then f*ck me I have no clue.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: I need help with my disc brakes!!! ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by stherrscher View Post
    I have a Scott Spark bike... i have mechanical disc brakes... I guess the main question would be, will mechanical brake calipers work with this bike?(For the Rear) or do i have to have hydraulic? Someone please help me figure this out!! Thanks
    I agree with the others, this is a poorly worded and confusing post.

But I think the answer is: It does not matter. Disc brake mounts are disc brake mounts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Wouldn't he need different wheels?
    '11 Epic Comp, Shimano SPD M780, Giant Contact Switch-R, Specialized Ribcage, Bontrager Trip 200, Ergon GS1

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: I need help with my disc brakes!!! ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by xlash View Post
    Wouldn't he need different wheels?
    Ummmm...the bike in question is disc brake only AFAIK, so no.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    ^^ sorry, I was referring to the-one1's post where he thinks the OP has v-brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Ok Let me try to explain again.... the one picture with the caliper mounted is a stock Scott spark, it has hydraulic brakes. the caliper pictured is a mechanical caliper in which i have. the other two pictures that show the mounts with no caliper are of my bike. so i guess what i am asking is. do i have to use hydraulic brakes because of where the mounting is located? the lever of the mechanical caliber hits the frame because of where the mount on the frame is. Is there any way to make the calipers i have fit? Or is it designed only for hydraulics only?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need help with my disc brakes!!! ASAP-image.jpg  

I need help with my disc brakes!!! ASAP-image.jpg  

I need help with my disc brakes!!! ASAP-image.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Looks like you'll have to use a hydraulic brake.

Just a flesh wound
    The Mechanical caliper can bolt to the mounts the same way as the XT in the picture. No adapter.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    But the lever on the mechanical hits the frame

Just a flesh wound
    I missed that part. Then you need a hydraulic rear. Maybe, if you got a larger rotor and were able to move the caliper out with an adapter for a 180 or 203 rotor, it might fit, but that is just an idea.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    Maybe, if you got a larger rotor and were able to move the caliper out with an adapter for a 180 or 203 rotor, it might fit, but that is just an idea.
    Putting on an adapter for a larger size rotor would make things worse with the mechanical caliper.

A hydraulic brake looks to be the only option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ok thank you for the help