i need advice on some rim brakes please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

i need advice on some rim brakes please

im planning on buying a brand new base stumpjumper m5 hardtail, it comes equipped with rim brakes which i may upgrade as the reviews for this particular rim brake are not that favourable, im not upgrading to discs because i dont need them and i dont want access weight, its always dry here and although its hilly i wont be screaming down rock faces like a banshee, im also only 143 pounds and the bike will only be about 24 pounds max, a good set of light weight rim brakes should be all i need, have you any suggestions please??

thecentralscrutinizer
    Avid SD-7 and a good set of pads.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The brakes are fine, most complaints about them are either from disc snobs or people that never swapped out the original pads. Try Koolstop salmons or the mtb dual compound.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    well ill keep the stock brakes on and see how they turn out, im sure theyll be just fine, the 2005 stumpjumper came with sd5s so i dont know know what the 2008 model is using, it doesnt tell you on specialized's website, i have been looking in the reviews section and the SD7s get rave reviews, if the stock brakes dont satisfy im sure switching to those will be easy

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The base Stumpy....

is speced with Avid SD-5R's, the R being the designation for the SD 5 with the cartridge pad upgrade, and matching FR 5 levers.

The main difference between the SD 5 and SD 7 calipers are the pads ( SD 5s come stock with one piece pads instead of the cartridge pads), the noodle boot, and the weight (SD 7s are about 25g lighter per set). Other than that they are a comparable brake to the SD 7, and you've already got the cartidge pad upgrade compliments of Specialized.

As for the levers, the FR 5 levers that you are getting are actually a bit lighter than the SD 7. The only difference between the two is the Speed Dial adjuster, SD 7 has it, the FR 5 doesn't. The only advantage that the speed dial has is the ability to adjust where in the lever pull the pads first make contact. It's nice but not critical.

I've used both the 7 and the 5 brakes and levers. They both perform well. The 7 levers do tend to feel smoother and seem to be a bit tighter in the pivot area. But neither brake system is that far superior to the other. The pads are a different story. The cartridge pads on the 7 are a better deal all around. But you're getting those with the 5R's on the Stumpy so you're already set with the only immediate upgrade I would recommend for the brakes. You probably won't even have to change out the pads. I've found that the stock shoes that come with the cartridge set up work fine for dry conditions.

So, give em a shot. I think you'll find they'll perform just fine.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    that is good news, thanks for the heads up squash, i think the M5 is a great hardtail frame which is the main thing, the base componants should do the job fine, i dont upgrade something unless something goes wrong with it so lets see how it goes, it should be a great bike and over here its nearly 2 grand cheaper than an fsr stumpjumper!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I run SD7s and Kool stop MTBs and the stopping power is amazing. Highly recommend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    if im not satisfied with the stock brakes thats the exact set up i was thinking on

local trails rider
    Pads can make a huge difference. I have no experience with whatever comes stock on your bike but, if you are not happy with them, try different pads. I've had good luck with Koolstop too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the koolstop name has been coming up a lot ever since i joined this website, ive always taken notice of it, my current bike has hydro discs which are nice but i have no quams about v brakes, to me a good v brake set up works as well, my lbs has koolstop pads i noticed them the last time i was there so if i want to swap out it wont be an issue, as far as i know the only difference between the base and comp 2008 ht stumpy are the brakes, not to mention the price and the bike will be that little bit lighter

Addict
    I agree that pads make a huge difference. I switched to Kool Stops about 6 months ago, and they were a lot better than the stock XTR pads I was using. I general, when it comes to rim brakes, I think you have to take a holistic approach to make the system perform as best as possible-- i.e. a good set of brakes (avids, shimano xt/xtr), good pads (kool stop), good cables (nokon is the best for this application), and good/clean braking surfaces on the wheels (ceramic).

MBA magazine ran an article detailing how to make the most out of your rim brakes last year or so, and essentially what I listed above is what they recommended... I tried all of these tweaks and found that it greatly improved the performance of my system (XTR/ CrossMax wheels). I would say, however, that the single greatest (and easiest) improvement is the pads like many of the other posters suggested.
    -Goobs

'06 Fisher Cake 2 DLX
    '05 Fisher Ziggurat
    '05 Fisher X-Caliber

Members who have read this thread: 0