I hate Post Mount System!- Mtbr.com
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I hate Post Mount System!

I have a Fox F29 with that stupid post mount system. I hooked my post mount Hayes up to that fork and the rotors is too far to the inside and is rubbing. I can push the rotor anymore to the outside to get the rotor centered. Dang, Fox, I want internation standard. I probably will have to get a rotor shim to fix it. Sheesh!
    Last edited by Jaybo; 11-20-2009 at 10:13 PM.

ride hard take risks
    You can say that again!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    its not the post mount thats the problem, as Manitou and Rockshox manage to do it perfectly without that problem.....the only issues I ever hear with the rotor hitting the fork mounts (which is what I'm assuming the problem is) is on Fox.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Old man on a bike
    I was saying how much they sucked just recently, after stripping a thread Fortunately a helicoil came to the rescue. Can't strip the IS mount and like the shim capabilities, too. Had hoped they'd die off with manipoo.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Funny actually, its the shims that turn me off IS......diff strokes for diff folks eh??
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Live 2 Ride
    I'm happy my fork uses the IS mount.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I was saying how much they sucked just recently, after stripping a thread Fortunately a helicoil came to the rescue. Can't strip the IS mount and like the shim capabilities, too. Had hoped they'd die off with manipoo.
    It's as easy or easier to helicoil a PM than it is to repair a stripped IS caliper. That said, threading a PM or a caliper is not the fault of the component; is it.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Post mounts need longer caliper mounting bolts a lot of the time. If you use the stock length bolt its far more likely to tear out those fragile magnesium threads or tear off the caliper if it takes a hit. More threads engaging is a good thing here. I have seen a F29 with avid elixers where the bolts only went in about 1/8th of an inch and of course were torn out when the caliper took a hit on a roof rack with no wheel in there. Didn't even need a helicoil to fix it, the longest possible bolt did the trick.

I also like IS because of the cheaper more available facing tools which are so very necessary for non avid brakes. A faced IS tab is tough to beat for precision.

err, 27.5+
    This post needs MOAR SHIMZ

Blame the stupid tight tolerances driven by weight weenies who can't handle the extra 20g of metal to give the brake calipers a broader adjustment range.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

ride hard take risks
    Post mounts rule!!!
    Formotion Products

Peace & Love
    seriously? post mount rules...get some non retarded brakes maybe.

i am sure that post mount also hates you jaybo

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Oh, Mr. Fo

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    seriously? post mount rules...get some non retarded brakes maybe.

i am sure that post mount also hates you jaybo
    I bet you have never screwed a bolt into a post mount have you? Come on, you can tell us.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I bet you have never screwed a bolt into a post mount have you? Come on, you can tell us.
    what does that have to do with it? and no, i have not

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    It's as easy or easier to helicoil a PM than it is to repair a stripped IS caliper. That said, threading a PM or a caliper is not the fault of the component; is it.
    Don't have an IS caliper, but indeed that would be a bigger pain...while I'm talented enough to screw up the post mount threads, I have a bunch of IS to PM adapters, none of which I've managed to fock up I still would prefer the additional shim capabilities of the IS mount, though. Probably just have to get used to it, as it looks like the tide is going the PM way...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    what does that have to do with it? and no, i have not
    We are here talking about how we like screwing an IS over a PM, so if you haven't screwed either, then your opinion sucks.

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004
    I've used both and much prefer post mount.

mtbr member
    Jaybo: You sure your hub is correctly centered with it's axel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've got both on my bike, I think a well shimmed IS mount is great. a post mount is easier to adjust, both are fine.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    i like post mounts better but i wish that manufacturers use other materials like steel for the threads. i've stripped the thread on my marz already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    post mount is crap.adjustability is worse,you make little error with threads and your fork or even worse,your frame is worthless.and industry wants exactly that !! usefulness in weight loss is laughable.
    need more bikes...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by enio
    post mount is crap.adjustability is worse,you make little error with threads and your fork or even worse,your frame is worthless.and industry wants exactly that !! usefulness in weight loss is laughable.
    You need to use a LBS.
    Formotion Products

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by enio
    That's like saying that any threaded component is a liability and a ploy by the "industry" to make you buy more stuff. What a load of nonsense. Just don't make mistakes. If you're incapable of fastening bolts, take your bike to shop.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    I have a Fox F29 with that stupid post mount system. I hooked my post mount Hayes up to that fork and the rotors is too far to the inside and is rubbing. I can push the rotor anymore to the outside to get the rotor centered. Dang, Fox, I want internation standard. I probably will have to get a rotor shim to fix it. Sheesh!
    YOu should probably just ask to get removed from the site, that will fix it

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I hate PMS, usually ends with a lot less screwing than you guys are talking about.

mtbr member

I prefer post mount!

In fact I've never had issues with post mount. Yesterday however I mounted my IS Hopes to my IS fox Talas and with no shims the caliper is too far in. I had these mounted without issue earlier in the year, but after a breif stint on my 1fg they are somehow not working with the old fork.
    I've been considering facing the IS tabs but the fork worked fine with the post mount Juicy ultimates I just sent back to Avid for Warranty work.

Members who have read this thread: 0