mtbr member

I could cry - I am that frustrated

Had to replace the brake hose on a Shimano 525. But now I cannot get the air out of the system. To be honest I think I cannot get any oil into the system. There appear a few tiny air bubbles in the reservoir but the level of oil never changes...

How do you get oil into an empty hose? The bleeding information on Shimano's website is useless. I follow to the point - but it doesn't work.

HELP

Thanks

Klaus
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Had to replace the brake hose on a Shimano 525. But now I cannot get the air out of the system. To be honest I think I cannot get any oil into the system. There appear a few tiny air bubbles in the reservoir but the level of oil never changes...

How do you get oil into an empty hose? The bleeding information on Shimano's website is useless. I follow to the point - but it doesn't work.

HELP

Thanks

Klaus
    Hey Klaus. Yeah, sometimes with empty hose it's difficult to get it initially flowing in. If you have a syringe, push fluid in from the bottom to fill the hose, then you should be able to follow the normal bleed procedure. If you don't have a syringe then just make sure you open the bleed nipple a lot and tap on the hose and caliper with something to try and get it started. If that doesn't work, feel free to drop by the shop tomorrow afternoon and I can give you a hand.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Larry,

thanks syringe did the trick. That and tons of pumping. My 525 is ready to go. But I also need to bleed my Magura Gustavs. Do you happen to have a bleed kit for those? They seem to require back bleeding and I don't have the nipple for the caliper. Also: I am very low on mineral oil now.

Thanks

Klaus
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Larry,

thanks syringe did the trick. That and tons of pumping. My 525 is ready to go. But I also need to bleed my Magura Gustavs. Do you happen to have a bleed kit for those? They seem to require back bleeding and I don't have the nipple for the caliper. Also: I am very low on mineral oil now.

Thanks

Klaus
    Can't say that I've ever actually had to bleed Gustav's but I think they use the same bleed kit as their other brakes, I do have that and some fluid.

Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Members who have read this thread: 0