Hydro Brake Routing- Mtbr.com
    Bend, OR

Hydro Brake Routing

Okay, so I don't know how well I can explain this, but I'm currently running mech discs, I want to eventually switch over to hydraulics. Here's the problem, the little thingys on the frame that hold the brake line, braze-ons? i don't know what they're called? You can only slide brake line through them from the end, not just straight into it if that makes any sense. This fine for cable brakes, you just slide the housing and cable through them and attach it to the brake once it's through.

For hydraulics however, you can't detatch the lines, or at least I'd have to rebleed and all that. I can't think of another way to do it though, and still use the things on the frame?

I'd take some pictures, but I don't have a camera that works.

Does this problem make sense to anyone? Am I just going to have to take the line out and rebleed the brake once it's on the bike?

Meh.
    You can drill out the cable stops. Or you can ziptie the hose along the frame. There are adapters that screw into the cable stops for full length housing. And there are stick-on cable guides. Take your pick.

Bend, OR
    I already have full length housing now, just not hydraulic.

edit: so basically, if I want to use the cable holders that are on the frame, I have to detatch the brake line first, there's no way around that I guess.

...idios...
    But you'd have to disconnect the lever or calipers from a cable brake to feed the outers through the guides before having to do a set-up. Given the choice, I'd rather bleed a hydraulic system than set up and tune a cable system. If you use the search function using "routing" you'll come up with plenty of ideas for missing the guides. Here's a thread with my preferred method.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    alternatively, you can just zip the hydro line to the existing full housing sorta like what i did with the last SS i built up (that is, if you did not want to reroute and rebleed. i had to create the housing loop to keep my shorts from snagging on the bare stops...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bend, OR
    okay, cheers for the replies, rebleed it is.

Meh.
    Haha, we gave you alternatives, but I just think you want to take it apart and bleed your brakes.

You might need a new olive (fitting) at the lever end if you pull the hose out.

Bend, OR
    well, not so much I want to bleed, I just definitely want to use the brake holders( seriously, wtf are these called, they're not cable stops as they're for full housing). I don't want any more uglyass zipties on my bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0