Hydraulic disc brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Hydraulic disc brakes

Hey I'm kind of new at this so don't flame. What are the most cost effective hydros that work well for XC riding?

mtbr member
    Aaron, I have by no means tried or have experience with all brake brands. My personal preference is Shimano, partly because they use mineral oil and not DOT brake fluid which can be corrosive. I buy all my components from Chain Reaction Cycles. Their prices are very good. If I wanted a budget set of brakes, I wouldn't hesitate getting a pair of SLX M665 brakes. They come bled and ready to install. They are $160 a set.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=28021

Locally from Price Point they are $280 a set.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/180...-W_O-Rotor.htm

Be aware that you will also need rotors if you don't already have.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Juicy sevens but they seem to be getting bad reviews. Are they actually that bad?

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron467
    Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Juicy sevens but they seem to be getting bad reviews. Are they actually that bad?
    For their value and quality, I'll agree with Ronnie and suggest Shimano, something like the SLX. They are typically known for their simplicity and reliability. No brand is without problems (or detractors), but Avid are well-known for unwanted noise and vibrations. In the UK, many call them Avoid, rather than Avid.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    May 2010
    are these the ones? Shimano SLX BR-M665 Hydraulic, also are they hard to find?

...idios...
    are these the ones? Shimano SLX BR-M665 Hydraulic, also are they hard to find?
    Have you tried a web search? Checked your local shop or some of the online retailers?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    May 2010
    everything here is closed today, I will ask my shop tomorrow if they can order me a pair.

mtbr member
    Have you not seen the links I posted for you above? They are almost half price from Chain Reaction Cycles and are available. They are fantastic. I buy almost all my parts there. The stuff arrives in about a week and shipping is free if you buy over about $270. Even if you have to pay shipping which I'm sure will not be much more than $20, you'll be way ahead.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Bedwards Of The West
    I have had Hayes HFX 9's on two bikes. They have been flawless, and they are on closeout at pricepoint.com right now for $49, pre-bled, including rotors. They are rock solid brakes that have required virtually no maintenance. Can't go wrong.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    oops i forgot to mention I cannot buy online as I don't have a credit card

mtbr member
    May 2010
    did your hayes come with the complete set? levers, caliper, rotor hose etc? sorry im kinda newb at this

No longer a hardtailkid.
    OP: have your LBS order you the SLXs from chainreactioncycles.com (if that's what you decide on) and maybe you could pay them in cash for it... Unless you already got new brakes (in that case, I feel stupid )
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

~Disc~Golf~
    oops i forgot to mention I cannot buy online as I don't have a credit card
    green-dot
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    bought the same Hayes HFX 9s from price point. Paid the same $49. $100 a set got me the complete set minus adapters. Rotor, calipers, levers. Only problem, it blew the bleed port plug halfway down the mountain today on its first use. But overall, good value. Don't forget adapters!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0