how to tighten the brake pull on Hayes 9...Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

how to tighten the brake pull on Hayes 9...Help

Sorry for the Newbie question.

I have the Hayes 9 Hydraulic Brakes and trying to shorten the brake pull. I've tried replacing the brake pads and it's still takes a good pull to the handlebars to get these brakes to fully catch.

Do I have to do a bleed to solve this issue or is there a bolt that brings the pad closer to the disc brake?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    You may need a bleed or may just need to adjust the reach adjustment screw in the lever.

All fat, all the time.
    What he said ^

There is a very small allen screw behind the lever. Screw this in to bring the lever reach out farther from the bars. I have a set of these, & the original ones tend to have the screw back off slowly. It's kind of annoying. I typically adjust mine after about 3 or 4 hours of riding...

Former Bike Wrench
    You need to bleed them, the lever adjustment will move the lever further from the bar but the throw will be the same.

Sounds like their either a little low on fluid or you have some trapped air bubbles, either way bleeding them should take care of the problem. Don't be afraid of bleeding hydros, it's really a lot easier than most people think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Smile

Sweeet ....Thanks for the info. I'll try it out and see what I come up with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Update*

I bleed the brakes and they feel tighter. Thanks everyone. I still would like the pull to be a little shorter but, i can't seem to find any other adjustment. The pull is the same as the other brake lever. I was dreading the bleed process but, it wasn't that bad.

Rich

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Pull the wheel out and squeeze your brake lever half way (without the rotor), then re-insert the wheel... should bring the pistons closer to the rotor for quicker engagement. The lever adjustment screw just positions the lever, but doesn't affect throw.

Don't pull too much without the rotor, or you won't be able to get the wheel back on without spreading the pads.... a little a time, until you get the feel you want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i'll have to try and pull the wheel out and pull the lever a bit trick. i would like it just a little tighter but, i don't want any chance of the squeaking from the pads to rotor.

thanks.

Rich

Members who have read this thread: 1