Don't worry, be happy!

How to? Pimping my brake levers

I've got Avid Juicy 7's on my stumpjumper FSR, and I just got some of these,
    Twenty6 dualie levers in nice blue...

Can someone walk me through how to change them out?

thanks.

Don't worry, be happy!
    well thanks anyway....

ride hard take risks
    Yikes sorry missed this did you get it figured out?
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Don't worry, be happy!
    um I started but I chickened out.

ride hard take risks
    The black allen set screw near the pivot pin gets removed and will go the your new lever, the pivot pin may slip out so keep an eye on it otherwise push it up or down to remove. The silver allen at the large black bushing gets turned all the way through turning clock wise the lever is now removed. When reassembling do not over tighten the set screw, if you have some blue LockTite that would be a good idea.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    -Remove the 2.5mm allen set screw from the lever blade.
    -Push out the lever pivot pin.
    -Pull lever blade away from the lever body.
    -Pop out push rod pin.
    -Detach push rod from lever (threaded in)
    -Remove threaded bushing from old lever, and instal into new one.
    -Thread in push rod.
    -Pop in push rod pin.
    -Stick lever blade into lever body.
    -Push in pivot pin.
    -Tighten set screw.
    -Have a beer.
    -Repeat with other side.
    -Ride.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    -Have a beer.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Avid lists "frosty beverage" in their list of tools required for working on all of their brakes. Just following their instructions.

Don't worry, be happy!
    The silver allen at the large black bushing gets turned all the way through turning clock wise the lever is now removed.
    This is where I chickened out.... that set screw was really tight, and the way it's positioned was very hard to get to... could barely get at it with a L shaped teeny allen wrench. Do I have to loosen the whole assembly to get at it easier?

a

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica
    This is where I chickened out.... that set screw was really tight, and the way it's positioned was very hard to get to... could barely get at it with a L shaped teeny allen wrench. Do I have to loosen the whole assembly to get at it easier?

a
    The lever blade should "pop out" away from the bar. There's a detent for where it's supposed to sit normally, but it can move out in the opposite direction from the one you pull it when using the brakes. It's basically a way to keep the lever from gettin ripped off if you crash. The set screw should be easier to get to once you move the lever blade out.

ride hard take risks
    Pull the lever forward like HAB said and there is LockTite on the set screw so it will take a little extra force just make sure you have the proper size allen wrench.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (92.4 KB, 250 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (89.8 KB, 247 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (94.3 KB, 250 views)
    Formotion Products

Don't worry, be happy!
    Ok cool. You guys rock. I do know about the forward "breakaway" feature, have put that to use ahem on a few rides already.

Now, that we've got that covered, for my matching bar end caps, just cut the plasic off with a utility knife and pound them on? Or is there more to it than that. Zinn doesn't cover everything you know.

Can't get much more pimped out than hub QRs, seat post clamp, brake levers and bar ends, eh?

ride hard take risks
    Ok cool. You guys rock. I do know about the forward "breakaway" feature, have put that to use ahem on a few rides already.

Now, that we've got that covered, for my matching bar end caps, just cut the plasic off with a utility knife and pound them on? Or is there more to it than that. Zinn doesn't cover everything you know.

Can't get much more pimped out than hub QRs, seat post clamp, brake levers and bar ends, eh?
    You can cut them off or stick a thin blade screw driver between the plug & bar to slide them off with some force that way you have back ups if needed. Line up the new plugs push them in then tap to seat. If you just smack em in they can cock & then your pissed.
    Formotion Products

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    You can cut them off or stick a thin blade screw driver between the plug & bar to slide them off with some force that way you have back ups if needed. Line up the new plugs push them in then tap to seat. If you just smack em in they can cock & then your pissed.

my current grips are one piece with no seperate cap so I'll need to cut it.
    You guys would laugh at me, takes me about 6 times longer to do this stuff than a real wrench but whatever, it's fun.

ride hard take risks
    my current grips are one piece with no seperate cap so I'll need to cut it.
    You guys would laugh at me, takes me about 6 times longer to do this stuff than a real wrench but whatever, it's fun.

The perfect cut - get a 2x4 or something flat & solid put it flat against the grip end & smack it with a hammer the handlebar will cut the grip to a perfect circle.
    Formotion Products

Don't worry, be happy!
    Update on this little project.

Epic Fail. Can you believe it? The reach adjuster bolt was some what seized*** ( must not have been lubed at the factory when the assembly was put together) and proceeded to get somewhat stripped in the process of taking it all apart. This took me about three hours to get the stupid bolt out. I could have used a beer but I don't drink. I swear instead.

Both LBS's do not have parts in the spare parts bin so I have to call SRAM tomorrow.

I suppose I get points for trying, and it's not like I can ride now anyway with a torn up shoulder.

**I guess I missed the part about lock tite, what is the antidote for that, for the other side, before I screw that side up too? I swear, I WAS using the correct allen wrench.

f.

ride hard take risks
    Update on this little project.

Epic Fail. Can you believe it? The reach adjuster bolt was some what seized*** ( must not have been lubed at the factory when the assembly was put together) and proceeded to get somewhat stripped in the process of taking it all apart. This took me about three hours to get the stupid bolt out. I could have used a beer but I don't drink. I swear instead.

Both LBS's do not have parts in the spare parts bin so I have to call SRAM tomorrow.

I suppose I get points for trying, and it's not like I can ride now anyway with a torn up shoulder.

**I guess I missed the part about lock tite, what is the antidote for that, for the other side, before I screw that side up too? I swear, I WAS using the correct allen wrench.

f.
    Dank suxz

See if the other one is locked as bad first, use a long armed allen for leverage, be sure to loosen straight most common cause of striping is allowing the wrench to lift inside use both hands keeping the wrench as true as possible. Lock-Tite hates heat but so does rubber. If you need heat use a soldering gun with a pointed tip so the heat doesnt travel to the rubber pieces.
    Formotion Products

Don't worry, be happy!
    ugh, maybe I'll just get the parts and ask favorite LBS guys do it. I'm sure if I show up with fresh baked goods ( no chocolate, Simon is allergic) and the dissembled project, I can work something out.

What's really annoying is I've played with those set screws that take tiny allens plenty. With all the gals I introduce to biking, I've done my share of brake lever adjustments.

Ah well chalk it up to experience. Or lack of.

ride hard take risks
    ugh, maybe I'll just get the parts and ask favorite LBS guys do it. I'm sure if I show up with fresh baked goods ( no chocolate, Simon is allergic) and the dissembled project, I can work something out.

What's really annoying is I've played with those set screws that take tiny allens plenty. With all the gals I introduce to biking, I've done my share of brake lever adjustments.

Ah well chalk it up to experience. Or lack of.
    Ummm lemon squares.

My Blitz II has one blue D-Boy lever and one stock Hayes because the screw is jammed an I'm to lazy to deal with it.

You did awesome many would keep trying till it's way to late, also known as the Y-chrome factor.

Formotion Products

Members who have read this thread: 0