Singletracker
    Jun 2005

How much better are Juicy 7's to Juicy 5's?

How much better and is it worth spending the extra money to get Juicy 7's from 5's. I know the Juicy 7's have a lot more adjustability then the 5's but is there anything else to it? (power/modulation/strength).

thanks!

The Quimby!
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_neon
    How much better and is it worth spending the extra money to get Juicy 7's from 5's. I know the Juicy 7's have a lot more adjustability then the 5's but is there anything else to it? (power/modulation/strength).

thanks!
    I am pretty sure that the only real difference is the pad contact point adjustment .

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the 5's and they bite pretty soon into the lever throw- which i like and wouldn't adjust even if i could, the calipers are the same.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Meh.
    The little red knob and color are the only differences.

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Is that it?

How to the Hayes Mags XC compare to Juicy 7's?

Meh.
    J7s annihlate the Mags. I've had both. Only brakes I would rate similarly to the J7s are the Formulas (just a few rides on buddy's bikes) and the Shimano XT/Saint brakes. Regardless, the Mags are good brakes though.

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    What about Juicy 5's to the Mags?

Meh.
    Juicy 5s and 7s have the exact same performance, only difference is color and the knob. The knob is nice for setting your levers exactly the same without dicking around with bleeding and fluids.

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Thanks! I guess the 7's have better adjustment...and from using Hayes Nine i know how important a properly adjusted...rub free brake is.

Can you comment on pad retraction on the Juicy 5's? Is it rub free, and do they have a tendecy to come un-adjusted. What about caliper centering, does that actually work (because it sure dosn't on the Hayes nine ).

Thanks again

Meh.
    Piston movement is great, as long as you don't get air in the system (any hydro brake).

CPS mounting system works great for small imperfections, but if it's totally whack, you'll still need the tabs faced.

Members who have read this thread: 0