How does the 2011 Avid X0 compare to Avid Elixir CR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

How does the 2011 Avid X0 compare to Avid Elixir CR?

I'm curious if anyone knows how the Avid X0 brakes compare to the Avid Elixir CR brakes? I have found that the CR's bite way too much and can't be 'feathered' very well. Much prefer the feel of XT brakes over the CR's. Just wondering how the Avid X0's size up?
    Thanks for any feedback!

Never trust a fart
    Its pretty much the same brake. Just a tad lighter, uses an organic pad instead of a sintered metallic pad,

On wuss patrol
    I like my CRSLs. Best brakes I have had to date. Love the pad-to-rotor gap adjust. Regarding the feathering, I just don't pull hard enough to lock them up. Like anything, they take a little practice to get used to then everything else feels...inferior?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    the new XOs are way less finnicky than older Elixirs. A solid brake all around in my opinion. I love them!
    jesus rides a fixed gear.

mtbr member
    kona--- how about squeal? Are the new xo's quiet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drewgold
    I'm curious if anyone knows how the Avid X0 brakes compare to the Avid Elixir CR brakes? I have found that the CR's bite way too much and can't be 'feathered' very well.
    I actually prefer the "bite" of the elixers. I haven't tried the XO's, but my XX's are much more "featherable", and I think the XO's would be more like the XX's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    any more reviews on these brakes? I can pick these up for XTRs. I'm currently leaning on XTR quite seriously though

mtbr member
    Have only used the older (pre-revamp of the Taperbore) Elixir CRs, and they are good. No issues with them at all.

The XTR trails are fantastic.

At the end of the day, it is personal preference. Lever feel, throw, etc. You won't go wrong with either. They are both great brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Have only used the older (pre-revamp of the Taperbore) Elixir CRs, and they are good. No issues with them at all.

The XTR trails are fantastic.

At the end of the day, it is personal preference. Lever feel, throw, etc. You won't go wrong with either. They are both great brakes.
    The biggest reason I considered X0 is because I already have the full X0 drivetrain to boot. I've heard a lot more great responses to XTR than I have heard of X0 and Avid in general seems to be talked down upon for one reason or another. (plenty of trash talkers on either side though)
    I'll be figuring it out on Thursday. I have to get a biopsy done so I'll be picking up a few new things for my bike. Fubar OSX, MRP 2x guide, brakes, OURY grips, some skittles

mtbr member
    If the Avid/SRAM brakes are set up properly, they are mint. However, they do seem to have a higher proportion of complaints compared to Shimano, mostly revolving around noise.
    At the end of the day, they are both great.
    Good luck with the biopsy. I hope everything goes well.

Tool
    I haven't tried the Elixirs (nor any Shimano), but my 2011 XO brakes modulate well.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile View Post
    I haven't tried the Elixirs (nor any Shimano), but my 2011 XO brakes modulate well.

-Pete
    Do they stop well too? Aren't X0 just the new Elixir CRs?

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Do they stop well too? Aren't X0 just the new Elixir CRs?
    Yes, they do stop well. I'm an XC rider, so I run 160mm rotors f+r, but they're fully sufficient for my needs. I will not claim they're super powerful, however, I can get the rear wheel off the ground at speed with just one finger on the front lever (with control, which speaks to the modulation).

I have had some of the typical noise and vibe problems, but since I've got a good amount of experience with Avids, I've been able to mitigate the issues enough to make them trivial. I can see how those who do not share my tinkering and engineering passion could get frustrated with the noise and vibration issues, and it's pretty clear to me that Avid has also had some quality control problems, which helps explain why some people have great luck while others can't understand how anyone could like an Avid brake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yes, they do stop well. I'm an XC rider, so I run 160mm rotors f+r, but they're fully sufficient for my needs. I will not claim they're super powerful, however, I can get the rear wheel off the ground at speed with just one finger on the front lever (with control, which speaks to the modulation).

I have had some of the typical noise and vibe problems, but since I've got a good amount of experience with Avids, I've been able to mitigate the issues enough to make them trivial. I can see how those who do not share my tinkering and engineering passion could get frustrated with the noise and vibration issues, and it's pretty clear to me that Avid has also had some quality control problems, which helps explain why some people have great luck while others can't understand how anyone could like an Avid brake.
    Avid does seem to carry some stigma about. I figured out the troubles with my Elixir 3 brakes after they were giving me hell. The local shop helped a bit, but I ultimately fixed up the rest. It does tend to just be a matter of how willing one is to put in a good amount of effort into it all.

I am hearing more and more about X0 brakes being ideal for XC riding. Confused me as I recently saw a DH build with X0 brakes and had to wonder what he was doing with those on a bike with Fox 40s put on a Specialized Demo 8 with all the bells and whistles.

I do a lot of aggressive riding so I think I will probably pick up a pair of XTR brakes. I hear you can't go wrong with either ultimately but I feel a little bit more "safe" with XTR. I do a few longer 2,000 elevation descents across about a mile or so where there are plenty of high speed areas with sharp turns. Considering that X0 only takes organic pads (so they claim) I don't know if that would be for me. I recently went through a pair of organic pads in about a month and a half. I'm not even a brake dragger.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh
    Considering that X0 only takes organic pads (so they claim) I don't know if that would be for me. I recently went through a pair of organic pads in about a month and a half. I'm not even a brake dragger.
    I hadn't heard this. When I repleaced my OEM XO pads, I used Elixir sintered. They are working great.

I doubt the XOs are built to take the heat anywhere near as well as the XTR Trails (assuming you're favoring these over the Race). XTR owners do seem to love their brakes, and although I've never tried them, I've never had a mid-level or higher Shimano component that wasn't excellent. The only time I did much vertical with my XOs I failed to check my pads before the trip and they were toast, so I don't have a good measure of how the XOs perform with a lot of downhill.

Good luck with the results from tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I hadn't heard this. When I repleaced my OEM XO pads, I used Elixir sintered. They are working great.

I doubt the XOs are built to take the heat anywhere near as well as the XTR Trails (assuming you're favoring these over the Race). XTR owners do seem to love their brakes, and although I've never tried them, I've never had a mid-level or higher Shimano component that wasn't excellent. The only time I did much vertical with my XOs I failed to check my pads before the trip and they were toast, so I don't have a good measure of how the XOs perform with a lot of downhill.

Good luck with the results from tomorrow.
    What I said about them supposed to only take organics may not be entirely true, but I believe I had heard that somewhere. Something about different components in the X0s that can easily heat up and the organics help dissipate heat nicely. Then again, I have also heard of them coming with semi-sintered pads; so I don't really know how helpful my beliefs/thoughts are on the matter.

And yes, I'll be getting the XTR M988 trail brakes if I go that way. I considered Saints-and although they work well for some as they get adjusted to the power-I opted for XTR. I'm fine with getting XTR as I already did get the X0 rear derailleur (6 gram savings for $100, how magnificent ) - things will look nice. Considered Chromag Fubar OSX bars but I think I might just pick up some Easton Havoc Aluminum bars in orange. It will sufficiently throw off any existing color scheme on my bike.

And yes, biopsy-not really excited but I did delay getting it only about a month and a half so that I could ride up in Vancouver Island and catch the rest of the nice weather (even though now it is actually better weather...)
    but I'll probably be fine
    doctor says 1 month of down time
    I'll give it two weeks tops before I give it a shot. This will give me time to try and adjust my dextroscoliosis

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I currently have a set of Elixir CR's a set of Avid X0 brakes and I had a set of Elixir CR Mags on a bike for a few months all running 160mm rotors.
    I found no noticeable braking difference when using the same brake pad type.
    Change the pad type and they change braking characteristics.

My only complaint with all Avid brakes I have owned from the Juicy 5, 7's Carbon's and even into the Elixirs and X0's are the Avid brand brake pads. I have never had a set that were quite, they always seem to be making noise.

The cure I found for the Juicy turkey gobble was to change the brake pads to Galfers.
    My Elixir CR's and X0's made weird noises right out of the box and my fix for them was to install a set of Jagwire Red Zone brake pads, the noises disappeared.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Its got what plants crave
    I have always thought that stock Avid brake pads sucked. I even prefer the cheapo EBC pads over what comes with most of their brakes.

Also, why the hell are brakes costing like 600 dollars now? Am I losing my grip on reality? It seems astronomical to pay for a decent brake set. Even buying a set of CRs on closeout at 135 dollars each seems way high, much less 300 each! Maybe I'm getting old, and/or cheap.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well I will be getting xtr so I understand complaints about high prices

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    I started with Juicy 7's then upgraded to the Elixir CR's. Actually never really had any trouble with Elixir's even though they were first generations (about 4 years). Recently upgradde to Goodridge brake lines and upon changing the fittings and reinstalling the hoses, just could not get a leak out of the system, both front and back. Fiddling with them for hours and eventually finding the caliper was leaking at the hose connector and at the lever pad contact barrel.

Long story short, got frustrated and had a set of Magura Marta's laying around for another bike, and installed them for temporary measure. I guess I've now become a Magura fan as a result. Couple reasons....brakes are lighter, much simpler mechanism, and easy to install and bleed. Aside from having to shorten the hoses, they ran great out of the box. No rubbing, squeeling, howling etc that tend to take some time to dial in with Avids.

On the neg side, the Avid's have better ergonomics IMO, nicer lever feel and throw. But power/modulation is TBD, will know after my rotors are fully bedded in.

Well reading some of the latest magazine reviews and forums, sounds like Shimano XT/XTR's are pretty good now. From having Avids discs for 10 years now, I personally would look at other offerings from Shimano, Formula, Magura.
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Prices have always been that high on discs.......nowadays they are much lighter and have more adjustment and are generally more reliable (some discs in the old days were designed around a dragging piston - can you believe it??)

As to reliability - I've seen every brand with a bunch of people ranting them for one reason or other - at how they are ditching x brand for good and will only buy y brand now.

Discs are very close tolerance parts, and they sit close to the dirt. If they are not religiously maintained most of them will fail at one point. Some riders seem to expect that spending lots of $$ means they magically get a product that is light, impervious to damage, works precisely like they want it to every time and doesn't wear out....ever. Oh, plus more $$ means that there shouldn't ever be any manufacturing flaws in it ever and any warranty issue immediately means there is some massive design flaw in it which they should be compensated for.
    rant over....

Getting laced back into the straitjacket as I type
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Members who have read this thread: 0