how to cut Shimano hydro lines- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

how to cut Shimano hydro lines

Just installed Shimano Brake System. Lines are too long front and back. How do I go about cutting them down ? No directions w/ the brakes.

PS: Look and feel great so far.
    All about the ride

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    you need a new olive and insert per line..... if you are careful you can cut the line without bleeding the brakes.

you have to put the lever parallel to the ground...undo the screw and move it, pull a bit to disconnect the line...don't wiggle much so that you don't lose oil.... cut the line... position the olive about 4mm from the end of the line and insert the "insert".... if you managed not to drop much oil, you should be able to put it together and go on your merry way.

If you don't mind bleeding...just remove the oil before..and then fill the system up... I usually do it like this...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

mmm

That was easy. Thanks ! How nice is mineral oil to work with. Should have done this Hayes to Shimano a while ago.
    All about the ride

glad you got it done... I have to cut the lines on my new XTs one of these days just haven't taken the time...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    you need a new olive and insert per line..... if you are careful you can cut the line without bleeding the brakes.

you have to put the lever parallel to the ground...undo the screw and move it, pull a bit to disconnect the line...don't wiggle much so that you don't lose oil.... cut the line... position the olive about 4mm from the end of the line and insert the "insert".... if you managed not to drop much oil, you should be able to put it together and go on your merry way.

If you don't mind bleeding...just remove the oil before..and then fill the system up... I usually do it like this...
    What do you use to cut the hose or what is the best tool to cut it?

Meh.
    There are some hose cutters out there. I've been fine with using a sharp razor blade.

Quote Originally Posted by carl1266
    What do you use to cut the hose or what is the best tool to cut it?
    I just use a blade while holding the hose with the yellow blocks

Members who have read this thread: 0