How can I use Avid Juicy's with 03-04 XTR shifters?- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

How can I use Avid Juicy's with 03-04 XTR shifters?

Is it possible to use other brand brakes with the Shimano XTR system? Shifter pods available?

thanks,
    francois

No, that's not phonetic
    The Juicy 7s use DOT 4 or 5.1 brake fluid. Shimano uses mineral oil. The two systems are totally incompatible (you cannot use a Juicy caliper with a Shimano lever). Shimano has abandoned shifter pods in favor of the dual-control flippy lever system where the brake lever does dual duty as the shifter too. You can still buy 9 speed XTR pods though (the '02 style; still being made?? I got some new ones- want em?). I would highly recommend the SRAM X.9 trigger shifters instead. Every single account of someone using both has ended with the conclusion that the new stram triggers are superior. The X.9 triggers work very well with the Juicy levers, imo.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hope are doing a shimano compatible seal kit for their brakes with the new Mono Mini/M4/Ti-6 range

cask conditioned
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Every single account of someone using both has ended with the conclusion that the new stram triggers are superior.

tscheezy
    I beg to disagree although I've only used the Sram's on test rides at bike shops. You need to give XTR's a few rides to get used to, unlike the Sram's, but once you do they become very intuitive. Shimano knows what they're doing.

On MTBR hiatus :(

The nature of things to come...

I'm afraid that's what we're going to see: Other brake manufacturers having to bend over backwards to make their <i>calipers</i> Shimano compatible, just to maintain a piece of the market.

Unfortunately, in the case of Juicy, the benefit of the lever adjustment & pivot placement is lost. Fortunately for the Juicy, it's a "gotta have it" feature such as this that might keep someone from straying to a Shimano brake. But to go through the trouble of installing a seal kit in order to keep a Hope caliper (already having given up Hope levers), I'd think to myself <i>where's the benefit in that?</i> and just install a Shimano caliper and be done with it.

The way I see it? Shimano is becomming an "all or nothing" option. I like what they're doing, I like their lever integration and I like their center lock hubs. I like a neat & tidy package. Who knows, I might have eventually bought in to it if I was still using derailleurs.

On the other hand, SRAM is coming on strong just in the nick of time, and the reviews smell of trouble for Shimano. I will bet you that Shimano's XTR Rapidfire pods remain an available option for a long time to come. If Shimano drops those pods, they are forfeiting a large market share to SRAM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    I beg to disagree although I've only used the Sram's on test rides at bike shops. You need to give XTR's a few rides to get used to, unlike the Sram's, but once you do they become very intuitive. Shimano knows what they're doing.
    I was talking about the XTR pods. Are you talking about the flippy levers? Different critter entirely.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 01-30-2004 at 06:43 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.