Housing recommendation...- Mtbr.com
    DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Housing recommendation...

Ok, so I'm almost good to go on my Hayes to Avid Mech conversion. Got my Hayes adapter to fit. Rotor fits. Cannibalized an Avid lever off my hardtail. Now I just need some cable and housing.

Searching the archives, it looks like the consensus of the gurus is...
    1) generic teflon-coated cable housing works fine and
    2) that Jagwire / QBP silver mesh brake housing (5mm) is best

Should I just pick up 25' of it from aebike for $22? I guess the brake/der stuff is a little better (and more $) since you can use it for full der cable housing also, but realistically I'm not gonna drill out my stops and do this. CO Front Range riding is pretty dry.

Oh, and I've decided against the Full Metal Jacket housing (for now) based on my concern of bending the metal. My goal is max durability and simplification over max performance. Heck, I'm running canti's on my SS and think they feel great!

So just wanted to confirm that housing recommendation and also see if anyone recommended any particular cable.

Thanks in advance. S

Baliw
    Jan 2004

Just get some cables

There aren't many bad cables around, really, and the Teflon-coated ones may be smoother initially but will eventually shed the coating. Don't know about their durability over plain SS cables, but getting full length housing is best in any case.

Just grab some cables, fit those brakes and take off. Don't worry about cable/housing types too much.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Juramentado
    There aren't many bad cables around, really, and the Teflon-coated ones may be smoother initially but will eventually shed the coating. Don't know about their durability over plain SS cables, but getting full length housing is best in any case.

Just grab some cables, fit those brakes and take off. Don't worry about cable/housing types too much.
    Actually, the Teflon coated cables are smoother and stay smooth longer than uncoated cables, especially if you do not lube them. The lube can attract dirt that then gums up the action. I use full length housing front and rear and replace the cables once a year or so. The only wear is at the ends where the cable rubs on the housing ends/stops.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Good stuff. Thanks guys.

By the way, this is why I'm frustrated by the new format...
    - This "thanks" post will go right to the top
    - Will Juramentado and Shiggy even see this? If if they do, they'll have to click on the thread and then scroll down just to see that I said thanks
    - Old format I could just put a "Thanks. (nm)" in the subject line and they'd see it and the thread would effectively end

And that's just what I don't like about this particular situation. There's more, but I'll shut up now! S

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Good stuff. Thanks guys.

- Will Juramentado and Shiggy even see this? If if they do, they'll have to click on the thread and then scroll down just to see that I said thanks
    - Old format I could just put a "Thanks. (nm)" in the subject line and they'd see it and the thread would effectively end

And that's just what I don't like about this particular situation. There's more, but I'll shut up now! S
    I saw it. No problem. I use the "threaded" view as my default so when I open the thread I see the first line or so of all the posts.

Also, if you click on the [->] arrow in the latest post column it takes you straight to that post (or to the first unread post?).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Thanks. (nm)

Just saw this over on Passion or General this morning. You can put your "Thanks (nm)" message in the main body (like I did here) and leave the TITLE block blank. The "Thanks. (nm)" will show as the title in the Threaded view, and you don't have to worry about the 5 character minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Good stuff. Thanks guys.