Hope Tech X2 NOISE/Squealing!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope Tech X2 NOISE/Squealing!!

Okay, so I searched but couldn't find anything for this brake in particular - the Hope Tech X2s. Awesome brakes, just cant stand the squealing, screaming when they're wet. I mean I'll need earplugs soon.

I had the old Mini's, not Mono's, and they were screamers also. I was hoping these wouldn't, until the first wet ride. Now wow, noisy as heck.

Any remedies? I'd prefer not to have to start dumping wasted money on trying different pads like I did with the Mini's, to no avail. HELP!!!
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    In the Turkey thread a "shop" is giving out free samples of a "magic paste" that may help.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Don't all brakes get noisy when the rotors are wet?

MTBR Member
    From all I have ever heard, the Hopes are just plain noisy when your riding in wet weather - doesn't seem to be a remedy for that. Otherwise, my Tech m4's are completely silent. I've only been on m4's for a few months - after the first really wet ride(riding in nice downpour) on mine, they needed to be cleaned and readjusted to quiet them down. Have you tried cleaning the pads and readjusting the calipers since the wet ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It seems they get quiet again once they're dry but heck, I dont want screaming brakes every time I get them wet. This totally sucks. I dont want to have to clean pads and realign everytime I hit water. This is a mtn bike and it's supposed to get wet.

I'm about ready to sell these brakes and just put on my old reliable quiet Shimano's again. Not as bling, maybe just a bit heavier, but heck the woods will be quiet again and I won't lose my hearing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What pads do you have in there? It might be worth changing pad compound (sintered vs organic). Disc brakes are in general the noisiest when wet and/or dirty. My wifes XTs certainly also have their share of screaming when wet, my Mono M4s are actually the quietest brakes I've encountered so far. Aligning is also very important, do it manually as per Hope video and not via the pull brakes and fasten method. And then finally all frames have different resonating frequencies and if you are so unlucky that the vibrationfrequency of your brakes is amplified by you frame than that just makes life harder (another brake might help in this case).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I changed pads three times with my old Mini with no resolution. I do align by sight, not the pull and fasten method. Two sets of Hope's screaming. My 4 pots are always quiet. I'm just frustrated to pay bucks for screaming brakes.

I'll call Hope and hope for the best. Unless they send me free pads, these are going up for sale.

mtbr member

Goodridge Brake Pads

I have had good results running the Goodridge sintered pads. Also it is critical that the pads are aligned and contacting the rotor at the same time. If the pads are causing the rotor to push to one side or the other that also could be adding to the noise problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for these tips. This is the same thing I did with the Mini's - new pads. If I know for sure that trying diff pads like the Goodridge's, then I'll pay. I'm just leary since this is exactly what I did last time. After 3 diff pads from users here on mtbr, they still screamed.

Pads are fairly cheap, $20 or so. But after $20x3, that gets expensive just to make the brakes quiet. They should be quiet from the factory and a consumer shouldn't have to spend money on aftermarket parts to make it work better. Again, I'm just frustrated and ranting. Thanks guys for trying to help out. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Mine do squeal when wet but not for very long. I tend to drag te brake alittle to help dry the pads and then the squeal is gone. Still on factory pads also.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

MTBR Member
    Shoot this guy a PM: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...32&postcount=6

He's offering free samples of his product "squeal out", which is supposed to help w/ excessive brake noise - should work decently too, since QBP picked it up.

All fat, all the time.
    I just used some of his free sample on my wifes bike, made the front brake nice and quiet. Sorry for bringing up such an old thread, but it worked great.
    I will be using it on my hope x2 shortly, as they get loud in the wet as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0