Hope Mono Mini M2 and plain Mini...what's the difference?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Hope Mono Mini M2 and plain Mini...what's the difference?

I'm looking to replace my old comp Hayes discs with something more powerful (7" or 8" up front and 6" in the rear...no jokes ;-). Trying to stay under $200 per wheel, and am really liking the look of the Formula k24.

While searching the Universal Cycles site, I saw the 2005 Hope Mono Mini M2 on sale. How does this set differ from the 2006 mini? The M2 looks like it has an extra piston. There's no category for this brake in the review section, just the Mini, which gets very mixed reviews. Any help would be appreciated.

Crazy C
    Nov 2004
    The regular mini has a two piece caliper (two halves - bolted together). The mono mini is a one piece caliper like most of the other lightweights out there (xtr, el camino, most all formulas and maguras). One piece is lighter (no extraneous hardware) and technically stiffer/stronger, therefore more powerfull/reliable. And more expensive. I have a set of the original (regular) minis and have been using them for ~4 years. I've bled them and changed the pads once in this time and I've upgraded the lines to Goodridge. The new lines seemed to boost the power slightly as I'm sure the mono caliper will also accomplish. I have no complaints with these brakes besides the slightly mushy feel with the stock lines. Beautiful machining, solid, reliable. Hope this helps (no pun intended).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i like my Hope M4 and mini brakes if that is any consolation to you. you would be wise to take a look at those negative reviews and ask yourself, "is this a genuine problem? ...or a dumb a$$ who doesn't know what they are doing or using mini's to go DHing, etc"

i think you'll find a great % of neg reviews unwarranted.

Mar 2005
    I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I think it's a picture of the backside of the M4. I just ordered the 2005 M4 for the front and 2005 mono mini m2 for my rear. You'll also notice that no where on the hopetech website lists Mono Mini M2.
    Last edited by mcgrath0087; 03-28-2006 at 10:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    I'm looking to replace my old comp Hayes discs with something more powerful ....
    "Powerful" rarely appears in a reveiw of mini monos. They are light weight XC brakes. Great modulation, nice cnc looks, yes. Super powerful, no.
    ...Trying to stay under $200 per wheel, and am really liking the look of the Formula k24.....
    I think at your price point '05 Juicy 5s or 7s would be a better choice if you are looking for trail bike/AM stopping power. And at least a 180mm rotor up front.
    ...I saw the 2005 Hope Mono Mini M2 on sale. How does this set differ from the 2006 mini? ....
    I didn't know there was a change in '06 but from reading the description on universal's site the only changes are in the hose and hose fitting and a Hayes/manitou mounting option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    "Powerful" rarely appears in a reveiw of mini monos. They are light weight XC brakes. Great modulation, nice cnc looks, yes. Super powerful, no.
    I think at your price point '05 Juicy 5s or 7s would be a better choice if you are looking for trail bike/AM stopping power. And at least a 180mm rotor up front.
    I didn't know there was a change in '06 but from reading the description on universal's site the only changes are in the hose and hose fitting and a Hayes/manitou mounting option.

totally agree with you...plus, you have 888 posts...

Members who have read this thread: 0