Hope Mini X2 Pro Brakes. Get them while you can!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Good job! Hope Mini X2 Pro Brakes. Get them while you can!

Here’s a quick review for these puppies. I’m posting this just after two rides because these are on clearance all over the net right now. Go get them. Hope is coming out with a slightly lighter version for 2010 (275gr vs. 290 gr) but unless you are a complete weight weenie the price will not justify waiting. The new versions will be black, but I ended up liking the gun smoke blue color more than I thought I would…

These things are great! They feel better than they look, believe it or not. I now understand what modulation means. The lever has a light but solid feel to it. They engage quick enough then you have lots of feel as you squeeze harder.

They are a breeze to bleed. They actually bleed exactly like motorcycle brakes. No syringes needed. Just DOT 5.1 fluid, a hose and an 8mm wrench.

Resizing the cables was a breeze but get new fittings and olives before starting. Hope claims the olive and fitting are reusable but life is much easier with new ones on hand. Also it takes one ride before these things bed in and feel great. The carbon levers have an adjustable reach via a 2mm allen. The calipers are aligned by eye and was easy to do. Just watch the vids on Hope’s site. There are also videos for bleeding and cable resizing.

I opted for a 160mm front and a 140mm rear. The rear rotor looks almost toy-ish but it felt fine riding Kittatinny Valley in NJ for the 1st ride. They came with Organics do not make a peep yet when they are dry. After a river crossing they squeaked a bit but shut up quickly after a few brakes.

A few more things I forgot to mention. The lever has a split clamp so you can take it off and install it without disturbing anything. Also worth mentioning is that each side comes with 12 Ti bolts! 6 for the rotor, 2 for the IS mounts, 2 for mounting the caliper, and 2 for the lever clamp.

Possible upgrades are braided hoses and swiss stop pads. If anyone has experience with either of these please give me some feedback.

Fire away any questions you may have.

Here are some pics:

Hack Racer
    Beautiful brakes.

You can also get carbon fiber reservoir caps from fibrelyte. I did it and it loses 2 grams but adds to even more blind look.

You can also upgrade the lever clamp bolts to alumnium to save even more weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Whats the power like on the newer minis?? I had a set of the ones with the gold/black colours, and they never seemed to be that strong. I'm running Juicy and elixirs now so I'm hoping that the power will be similar to what I'm used to (and relatively cheap if I get a set of minis at clearance prices)
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I can't make a comparison since these are my 1st hydros. But the front has enough power to easily lift the rear wheel off the ground. I think Hopes are more about feel rather than brute force. I can tell you the modulation of the brake feels great. Maybe someone else can chime in about power...

All fat, all the time.
    those are sexy

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i have these brakes on my yeti 575 plenty of power for using with 160 rotors. and they are dead sexy as well.

Team Fearless Descender
    My wife's been running the X2's with the Tech levers and braded hoses on her Knolly for just over 9mos now. I'm running HOPE's on three bikes around here, and do all the wrenching / building. I appreciate not only the beauty of the components during build and service, but while riding. My wife is running 180 / 160mm and loves'em. The lever reach adjustment of the Tech levers is fantastic! I've been a long time HOPE fan. Oh, and I agree, having a few extra parts around (olive's, etc.) is a good thing.

"...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    I have a SS 29er in transit and I spec'd these. i can't wait till it gets here.

So is your face
    Mmm. Those are pretty.

What would be their power equivalent in another manufacturer? Would the tech x2s be equal to Formula K24s or maybe Magura Louises? Just wondering if these or the m4s are what i would want if I suddenly got a case of UGI.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt
    My wife's been running the X2's with the Tech levers and braded hoses on her Knolly for just over 9mos now. I'm running HOPE's on three bikes around here, and do all the wrenching / building. I appreciate not only the beauty of the components during build and service, but while riding. My wife is running 180 / 160mm and loves'em. The lever reach adjustment of the Tech levers is fantastic! I've been a long time HOPE fan. Oh, and I agree, having a few extra parts around (olive's, etc.) is a good thing.

Looks great!

Have you tried swiss stop pads yet? The organics that came with the X2 Pros are a bit squeaky after a river crossing. I'm wondering if the swiss stops are better for wet riding.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    I have a SS 29er in transit and I spec'd these. i can't wait till it gets here.
    Im building a 29er too and ordered a set of these brakes , they will be here tomorrow
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Oh my gawd, sickest. brakes. ever. Those are hot like a night in Paris. Where can I find a set of Hope X2 Pro's in gunmetal - the one's with the ti-hardware?
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member

Nice!

Those things would match my pewter King hubs/headset and Hope skewers perfectly

Hack Racer

mtbr member
    what is that like 232.00 american?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    what is that like 232.00 american?
    $261.84 to be exact.

mtbr member
    man those things are so badass, i was looking at some avid codes or hayes stroker aces but damn! all that metal its art!

mtbr member
    199$ at Jenson. Schweet!

Hack Racer
    That is not the X2 Pro. Just the standard X2. Meaning no Titanium fasteners. No lighter weight rotors. The Pro version has thinner rotors.

mtbr member
    @cheers!: You're right, the X2 Pro's are significantly different than the standard X2. I found the Wiggle UK link you posted at $461.94 for a brakeset F&R. But they're sold out of the rear. Too bad, that's a hot price, I can only find them in-stock for $592 stateside.
    Creative Producer, Will of the Sun, Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ views WoS

mtbr member
    oops..you're right!

mtbr member
    Garsssh those are super-fly. I love the CNC'd look of everything, so classy. Nickbee, do you ride Monmouth county at all?

Tulsa
    wherever you go, there you are

Members who have read this thread: 0