Hope Mini X 2 /Magura Marta SL or XT?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Hope Mini X 2 /Magura Marta SL or XT?

Putting on a Titus El Guapo. Small frame, 29 lb. Rider is only 160 lbs. Both CC & AM riding.

THINKING OF MARTA SL, HOPE MINI X2 OR (heavier) SHIMANO XT . 160 ROTORS.

Lightweight & good power more important than modulation, although all 3 would be nice!
    I prefer simple, "non-complicated" brakes, easy to set-up/maintain, light rotors, trouble free, etc.

Ditching my XTR- great modulation but just too weak. Not good for AM riding either...

PLEASE EXPLAIN THE SPECIFIC REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICES!!!
    Last edited by Shredr; 11-20-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: more specific-change title

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Go for Hope tech x2
    i got a set, they are just awesome
    i went with 183 floating rotors F&R on my Stumpjumper and now its with my Enduro, using them on everything (mainly DH FR and jumps) and they just never get boil up and stop you whenever you want to
    they give such a soild felling + the new tech lever makes adjustment well easy, the lever and piston are seperate so you wont rip the main pistons out when you kill the lever. they re just the best overall !!!

the best part is they dont need bleeding every 3-6 months like mgura or avid
    + everything you get from hope are machined out which means the piston will last much longer, better braking power, more soild + less likely to break

GET THEM!!!
    Custom 08 Swork Stumpy FSR
    Custom Revell 250R Jump/4x/street
    Custom '10 Enduro - "sometimes trail ride turns into freeride"

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by darkshadow
    the best part is they dont need bleeding every 3-6 months like mgura or avid + everything you get from hope are machined out which means the piston will last much longer, better braking power, more soild + less likely to break
    I call BS on that. My Magura Marta SL has not required a bleed in 2 years...explain that one. Being biased over something you have never tried is NOT good advice!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my marta story

I have been on martas for 6 years...they need bled every year. Mine are the first generation Martas, so hopefully the newer models are better. When they work they are great brakes. My last big ride with them they were fine at the top of a downhill but had failed by the end of the ride...I have lost faith in them. It does not matter if I or my LBS bleeds them...the bleed lasts one year tops. Magura even replaced one of the lever assemblies because it would no longer hold a bleed.

Going to replace mine in the spring...probably going with Shimano SLX, Formulas or Hopes, depending on price. Don't really want to spend more than $300.

At this point I want reliability and will sacrifice weight and a bit of performance for that.

Good luck with your search.

mtbr member

New question here. kmc

Don't you think your Magura problems were 'cause of older technology?

Which exact model did you use/what size rotors/what kind of riding?

kmc
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredr
    Don't you think your Magura problems were 'cause of older technology?

Which exact model did you use/what size rotors/what kind of riding?
    I have the standard Martas...not the SL with the carbon lever, but that is the only difference between the two.

Mine are 2003 model Martas. I don't know of any changes they made on these until the 2009 Martas came out. I am also running the standard wavy rotors. My lever assembly (including the master cylinder/reservoir) was replaced in 2007, so that is newer but looks exactly like my other. And yes, the new lever assembly needs bled every year.

The LBS I frequent bleeds a lot of Martas. The wrench there basically said they are usually good for about a year...some last longer and some don't. They are now really high on the new XT/SLX brakes. Good power, a snap to set up and they seem pretty dependable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have XT on new bike. Magura Marta on other bike. The Marta's are around 3 years old. Needed bled once when they were pretty new. After that, no problem. Work great.

My XT's are around 6 months old. Cannot keep the rear from having a slight touch on the rotor. Rotor is true, happens on all the rear wheels i own.. And do not like the feel of the XT's. Have much more of an on/off vs. progressive feel of the Marta. I tried a friends bike with Hope Mini's. They felt really nice too. Little stronger than the Marta or XT. Not a big factor to me, i.e.i am not a heavy brake user.

Members who have read this thread: 0