a.k.a. MTBMaven

Hope Master Cylinder Damaged?

This is the second time I have crashed and damaged my brake levers. The broke lever happens to be for my rear Mono Mini but that shouldn't matter too much. Basically the lever extends too far the wrong way. Upon further inspection I can see a small wire ring that has popped out and allows the lever to extend the wrong way. Last time I did this I had to have the master cylinder rebuilt and then replaced.

Is this common? Have others had this happen? Any recommendations?

ride hard take risks
    Hayes HFX-Mag or Avid Juicy's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    This is the second time I have crashed and damaged my brake levers. The broke lever happens to be for my rear Mono Mini but that shouldn't matter too much. Basically the lever extends too far the wrong way. Upon further inspection I can see a small wire ring that has popped out and allows the lever to extend the wrong way. Last time I did this I had to have the master cylinder rebuilt and then replaced.

Is this common? Have others had this happen? Any recommendations?
    All the hope brakes use the same lever. An no damaging the lever in a crash isn't common (at least as far as I know and several people in my group (with mono levers) fall all the time;;-)). Normally I don't torque the bolts on any brake lever down too tight (and this goes back to pre-disc levers), that way they will twist before they break. I can't recall a wire ring (I have mono levers but my bike is all the way out in the barn) there is a dust cover clip, (#9 in the parts diagram) but that wouldn't let the lever over extend. What part # (on the diagram) has popped out?

https://www.hopetech.com/database/mini_lever_exp.gif

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Hayes HFX-Mag or Avid Juicy's.

Thanks for the helpful post. Hayes sucks from personal experience. Either on or off, no modulation. No reason to try Avids sense I love my Hopes.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    What part # (on the diagram) has popped out?

https://www.hopetech.com/database/mini_lever_exp.gif
    Almost 100% it's part #11 Mini CirClip. It has slipped past the dust cover (#10) and allows the lever to pull all the way out the wrong way. This is the third time it will go in for this service. If I don't keep my fingers on the brake it will essentially pop out.

ride hard take risks
    Thanks for the helpful post. Hayes sucks from personal experience. Either on or off, no modulation. No reason to try Avids sense I love my Hopes.
    No prob, gotta spread the love to all the manufactures other wise life would be boreing. Sounds like your getting some good help, ride on!

mtbr member
    Almost 100% it's part #11 Mini CirClip. It has slipped past the dust cover (#10) and allows the lever to pull all the way out the wrong way. This is the third time it will go in for this service. If I don't keep my fingers on the brake it will essentially pop out.
    Then there is another clip missing as there is a small wire clip that keep the dust seal in place. Makes sense that they would both be missing for you to hyper extend the lever.
    Check the CurClip to see if it has a sharp side (some clips have a sharper side (this is the side that is up in the die when the clip is punched)) if it does make sure it (sharp side) is out. also inspect the CirClip groove to make sure there is no damage or debris in the groove. Lastly make sure the clip is tight (against the outside of the groove, it should not be easy to rotate (loose) even after it is seated in the groove.)
    I have never seen nor heard of this problem before so the fact that it has happened 3 times (same lever, I assume) leads me to believe that there is something wrong. Either the CirClip (bent or possibly backwards) or the groove (either out of spec or damaged in the first crash and now not holding the CirClip properly) I would contact hope directly (if you have not done so before)

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I had the master cylinder rebuilt once and replced a second time. I may just send it back to Hope USA, as they are not far from me, and have them rebuild/repair/replace the thing. I am tired of this happening. Granded it is not their fault I crash.

Members who have read this thread: 0