Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,086

    Hope M4 front Mini rear question

    I am in the process of specing out my soon-to-be-ordered RFX and was leaning towards a M4 front/Mini rear combination, but after reading through the "mini for urban" thread below, I'm a little paranoid about over heating. 75% of the time, the bike will be used for highly technical riding with very little elevation gain/loss. However, the other 25% will be at ski resorts and the local 6,000 foot shuttle run. The shuttle run is broken up by two 1,000 foot climbs so it's not like I would be on the brakes for 6,000 feet straight and the resorts are usally about 2,200 feet per run (times 7-8 runs in a day).

    I have used my old 2002 Minis at Keystone for repeated runs and never had any issues. Are the newer, Mono style more prone to over heating than old two piece calipers (since the pads look a lot smaller)? How long on average, does it take for a hot brake to cool down? How long does it take for a hot brake to glaze a pair of pads?

  2. #2
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,412
    Dont know about the Hope 4 for heavy braking. Hayes HFX-Mag is a great DH/AM do all brake system. Run a 7in rotor front & 6 rear.

  3. #3
    Feeding your addiction
    Reputation: Ventanarama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    2,648
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    I am in the process of specing out my soon-to-be-ordered RFX and was leaning towards a M4 front/Mini rear combination, but after reading through the "mini for urban" thread below, I'm a little paranoid about over heating. 75% of the time, the bike will be used for highly technical riding with very little elevation gain/loss. However, the other 25% will be at ski resorts and the local 6,000 foot shuttle run. The shuttle run is broken up by two 1,000 foot climbs so it's not like I would be on the brakes for 6,000 feet straight and the resorts are usally about 2,200 feet per run (times 7-8 runs in a day).

    I have used my old 2002 Minis at Keystone for repeated runs and never had any issues. Are the newer, Mono style more prone to over heating than old two piece calipers (since the pads look a lot smaller)? How long on average, does it take for a hot brake to cool down? How long does it take for a hot brake to glaze a pair of pads?
    Hey Kristian. Having ridden with you a little, and knowing the stuff that you ride I would definitely lean toward M4 on both ends. I'm a bit surprised the older Mini's haven't given you any problems for the riding that you do, so in that respect maybe you'd be fine. But, the weight difference is minimal, so there's not much downside to doing the M4 just to be on the safe side.
    Been dying to make it down your way for a ride, but have been way too busy. Hopefully soon.

    Larry
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

  4. #4
    Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Hey Kristian. Having ridden with you a little, and knowing the stuff that you ride I would definitely lean toward M4 on both ends. I'm a bit surprised the older Mini's haven't given you any problems for the riding that you do, so in that respect maybe you'd be fine. But, the weight difference is minimal, so there's not much downside to doing the M4 just to be on the safe side.
    Been dying to make it down your way for a ride, but have been way too busy. Hopefully soon.

    Larry
    Hey Larry,

    I'm thinking about Juicys now after posting a similar thread on the Turner board. I rode some last night and thought they felt pretty good. I ride in the park pretty much every Sunday and would love it if you came down for a ride. Let me know what works for you. Also, shuttle season is starting early this summer....

  5. #5
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,464
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Hey Larry,

    I'm thinking about Juicys now after posting a similar thread on the Turner board. I rode some last night and thought they felt pretty good. I ride in the park pretty much every Sunday and would love it if you came down for a ride. Let me know what works for you. Also, shuttle season is starting early this summer....
    The Juicy's get better with Goodridge lines also.

    Pad life has been good in my area. I'm still on the OEM pads after 1.5 years and I have done a bunch of DH and trail riding but they just won't die.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    121
    Hi Kristian,
    As I am driving all Hope Brakes (M4, Mini, Mono Mini, Mono M4 and Mono 6TI) I would not suggest to use the Hope Mono Mini. For example a Hope Mono Mini 180mm will fade much befor a Mini 165mm will. Even a Hope Mono M4 is not as strong as the old Mini 185mm. Furthermore using the so called floating discs makes the discs even hotter and therefore fading much faster than the normal discs (Thats why I drive my Mono 6TI with old Mini 205mm disc). So if you whant to avoid that fading becomes a problem for you choose the Mono M4 in the same diameter (minus 5mm) as your Mini. If weight is not your biggest problem you might choose one size bigger. Regarding your question about the new Hopr Models (Phenolic Piston and Post mount adapter): In this case its much cheaper to change rotor size later but these Models for me seem to be a little less resistant to fading than the normal or old ones (as the pad can not be cooled down by the Piston and so by the DOT and the caliper).
    I hope I was able to help you.
    Christian

  7. #7
    Carpe Noctem
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    311
    I disagree completely. My mono M4s easily and completely outperform my old 2 piece mini especially in long/hard descents.
    Off season? What off season?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11
    I agree with OnTheMomemt...The new one piece Hope calipers are AMAZING!! They far outperform any of Hope's previous offerings...I've built a whole lot of bikes using the Mono Mini, M4, and M6Ti brakes and have never had any issues with any of them!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.