mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Help XTR Disc Brakes!

Alright,

This is pretty pathetic. I have always been a rim brake guy and I just bought a bike on Ebay with XTR disc brakes. It is pretty embarrassing, but all I want to do is attach the wheels! This bike is already set up, installed and alligned. I open up the quick releases and try to slide the rotor between the pads, but something seems to be holding it up. Do I need to release anything before I try to mount the wheels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Lenny

banned
    Sep 2005
    Make sure there is space between the pads (I.E. the pistons are retracted).

Shouldn't be anything else.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There is some space between the pads and some play in the pads. Is there a way to retract the pistons. It seems obvious that if you pull the lever, the pistons close the pads. If you let go of the lever they open a bit. Is that enough gap or do I have to retract the pistons in some other way?

Thanks,

Lenny

banned
    Sep 2005
    I'm not terribly familiar with XTRs, but if they are similar to my J7s (and I don't see why they wouldn't be), I'd use a large flathead screwdriver to gently pry them apart enough to get a rotor between them. You should really never squeeze a brake lever without a pad spacer or rotor inbetween the pads, just a quick FYI also.

Meh.
    If you squeeze the lever without something b/n the pads, the pistons push out. Take a flathead or a tire lever and work the pistons all the way back in. Install wheels, recenter caliper, go ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Thanks

Thanks to all. I pushed the piston back in and I was in business...

Members who have read this thread: 0