Help troubleshooting Formula RX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Help troubleshooting Formula RX

Background: Thanks to movers, my bike arrived upside down in its box with the brake pads firmly locked onto the rotors. I assume the inversion and time cooking in a shipping container somehow led to excessive pressure in the line. On my HT that uses mineral oil I'm happy to open up the port, give a slight squeeze to remove fluid, and close it back up. But not wanting to mess with dot 4 fluid I took it to LBS to be bled. Got bike back with brakes unfrozen. Just squeezing the levers the front brake seems fine/firm. Rear brake has a slightly looser feel - more pull before engagement, which in itself I wouldn't mind. BUT after a few rides it is clearly not providing the stopping power I expect/remember (the bike was in storage for many months during my move). As I recall, on pavement the rear wheel used to easily lock up with a firm pull, but not any more.

Bottom line: can I get some pointers on distinguishing between pad contamination (some of the techs at LBS are not always careful enough) and a problem with the hydraulics (too little fluid, air on the system)?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Take out brake pads in the rear, give your brake handle one slow squeeze all the way to handlebar.

Now push the brake pistons all the way back into the caliper.(careful not to damage them)

Reinsert brake pads. This can be a bit tricky with new brake pads. Sometimes easier to loosen caliper bolts and let the body move freely.

You should have a firmer brake feel if the bleed was done correct.

You might have to repeat this procedure a couple of times.

Good luck.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Take out brake pads in the rear, give your brake handle one slow squeeze all the way to handlebar.

Now push the brake pistons all the way back into the caliper.(careful not to damage them)

Reinsert brake pads. This can be a bit tricky with new brake pads. Sometimes easier to loosen caliper bolts and let the body move freely.

You should have a firmer brake feel if the bleed was done correct.

You might have to repeat this procedure a couple of times.

Good luck.
    What exactly does this do?

OP.
    Contamination will mean the lever has a really good feel to it, but lacks breaking power.

If they need bled, you will have a squishier lever feel and when you pump it a few times it will stiffen up.

RX, can be difficult to bleed correctly. You have to prime the DOT fluid and make sure all of the tiny air bubbles get out of the fluid before you even start the bleed.
    Also, there are small crevices in the lever and caliper.

If the shop tech wasn't 100% on what he was doing, he could have made some of these mistakes. If you are sure that it needs re bled, take it to the shop and see if he can re bleed it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. I'll try out the tips and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It resets the engagement point, don't overdo it. or you can't get rid of the rub.

It will take care of your first problem. Too much lever pull before engaging.
    Last edited by Learux; 05-08-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more