Help: Trouble setting up Paul Motolites- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mfh126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    165

    Help: Trouble setting up Paul Motolites

    I bought a full set of Paul Motolites to replace the stock Avids that came on my bike. The front pair went on without a hitch and I got them dialed in right away. However, I'm having trouble with the rear brakes. It seems I can't get the spring tension setup properly to allow both arms to move simultaneously. The arm with the elbow seems to want to stay in place while the the arm where the cable attaches moves without trouble. I'm wondering if the length of the cable housing (too long or too short) is affecting the movement of the arm with the elbow. Anyone have a similar problem that you were able to resolve?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    353
    Increase the spring pressure on the elbow side of the caliper arm and/or reduce it on the other.

    I believe the Motolites have an adjuster nut on each arm for this purpose.

    Do it in small increments; test by pulling the brake lever and observing what happens. Repeat until both arms (pads) are properly centered.

    .

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mfh126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by standard3x
    Increase the spring pressure on the elbow side of the caliper arm and/or reduce it on the other.

    I believe the Motolites have an adjuster nut on each arm for this purpose.

    Do it in small increments; test by pulling the brake lever and observing what happens. Repeat until both arms (pads) are properly centered.

    .
    I tried playing with different combinations of spring tension in each arm, but I haven't found the right combination yet. I'll try again tonight -- hopefully I'll have more luck. It just seems like the side with the elbow/housing doesn't want to move.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mfh126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    165
    So, I'm going to man up and be honest about the root cause of the problem. In my own defense, I bought these brakes used so all four arms came in one package (not in pairs as they would if bought new).

    When I upacked the brakes, I noticed that there were two different color tension springs -- one pair was sliver, the other pair was brass-like. I assumed that I should keep the same color springs together when installing the brakes (silver set in front, brass in the rear). You can see where this is going...

    Bottom line -- I finally figured out that I had one wrong spring in the front and another wrong one in the rear (the silver springs are wound in one direction while the brass springs in the other direction). I switched the springs accordingly and dialed in the brakes right away. That's what we call a "duh" moment. Thanks for your help guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.