Help with Shimano BR-RS405 caliper piston seals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Help with Shimano BR-RS405 caliper piston seals

Hello guys, I am new to the forum I hope to find some help here. I recently purchased a road bike ( second hand) and the front caliper brake is leaking badly. I toke it a part and I noticed that both seals are badly damaged. Looks like that the pistons have been pushed in without applying any sort of lubrication. Before changing the entire caliper I would like to know if you have any link where I can find these seals.
    They are square section O’rings ID 21mm x 2mm square section I am happy to change the pistons ( mine are 21mm dia x 9mm width) as well if they are not sold separately. I have been looking for few hours now without any solution.
    Can you help me ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Shimano doesn't sell spare pistons or seals for its brakes. A few places (check ebay and Aliexpress) make replacement pistons for some of the Shimano mountain bike range, but I don't know if that includes for road bikes.

It seems you can get a new caliper for about $40 (https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=84867), so it may be simpler to do this.

Tim

damned rocks...
    What Wombat said.
    Plus, if you buy a new caliper they usually come with a set of brake pads, so you are paying like 20$ for the new caliper and 20$ for the brake pads. It really makes worthless losing time trying to source o-rings and pistons from China with dubious quality.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Yes! It is exactly what I have done right after leaving the post here 😅! Thanks