Help with rotors rubbing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Help with rotors rubbing

Hi all,
    I recently went tubless and in the procees purchased center lock rotors to replace my 6 bolt. My brakes rub pretty bad. I have avid juicy 7. I have ajusted the caliper and the pad contact is all the way out. The brakes have just over 1k miles on them and to my knowledge they have never been bled. If I bleed them would it make the pads retract farther in? If not what would be my next step to fix the problem?
    Thansk for the help

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need to adjust your caliper. You can buy thin washers to micro adjust the caliper.

Old man on a bike
    The pad contact point is just a lever adjustment, doesn't move the pads. Analyzing your caliper position is where I'd look first. You may need to slightly shim something if the CPS washers don't get the caliper in the right position. Retracting farther in is a contradiction in terms, do you want the pads to move away from the rotor or do you want them to come in further? Basically there's little adjustment for this, you may want to spread the pads and then reposition the caliper to optimize what you've got, you may simply need to true the rotor a bit...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Meh.
    Post mount calipers (like Avids) do not need washers unless the range of adjustment has been maxed out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    As well as centring the rotor in the calliper, there are a lot of other issues to deal with.

Have the pistons been pushed back into the bores?
    Are the pistons moving evenly?
    Are your old rotors thinner, due to manufacturing differences or lots of use?

You'll need to look carefully at the brakes to see why they are rubbing before you can hope to fix what's wrong
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for all the replys guys. I have already tried to push back the pistons/pads with a flat head screw driver. I have also tried to ajust the caliper but that still does not work. It gets a little better but still rubs. What should I check next.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    rotate the wheel, while watching the rotor spin in relation to the pads.
    Does it wobble and contact the pads where it is not true?
    If so, locate the untrue portion of the rotor and simply bend it back with a light push by your thumb. If that is the case, you'll be surprised how little pressure it takes to true the rotor.
    Racerick
    "The older I get, the faster I was"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If there's a shapr bend use a shifter spanner, and tighten the sides down on the rotor and bend it back slowly. Remember the tolerances here are in the order of 10ths of a mm, so no big yanks
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Members who have read this thread: 0