Help removing rivots(?) from rotor*pics included*- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clvlc4door's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    241

    Help removing rivots(?) from rotor*pics included*

    ok I am back with another question and I am putting new rotors on here bb7(203) and having a hard time getting the rivets(is that what they are?) off of the hub, pliers didnt work nor small screw drivers. Is there a way to get the things apart without breaking them so I can reuse them to mount the 203's?

    for your viewng pleasure!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,199

    They won't come off

    I believe what you have there is a Shimano centerlock rotor. You do not remove the rivets, you have to remove the lock ring that holds the whole rotor and spider in place. If you're thinking about replacing them with Avid 203mm rotors, you're SOL. Avid uses ISO mount rotors. You're going to need to buy 203mm centerlock rotors.

    I could be wrong on this, but based on the pics you provided, I believe this is the case.

    Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    my word.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clvlc4door's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    241
    damn thats what I was thinking cause I looked at my friends bike who has that and I noticed it today. what other good companies make hydro brake that are center lock?

  5. #5
    Freshly Fujified
    Reputation: Call_me_Clyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,199

    Clarification, please

    Quote Originally Posted by clvlc4door
    damn thats what I was thinking cause I looked at my friends bike who has that and I noticed it today. what other good companies make hydro brake that are center lock?
    Your first post said you were replacing the rotor with a bb7 203. Now you're asking who makes a good hydro brake that has center lock. BB7 are not hydro. What do you really need, please? if you clarify the situation we'll be in a better position to help.

    Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clvlc4door's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Your first post said you were replacing the rotor with a bb7 203. Now you're asking who makes a good hydro brake that has center lock. BB7 are not hydro. What do you really need, please? if you clarify the situation we'll be in a better position to help.

    Bob

    well at least i am learning, my bad I was thinking the bb7 were the juicy 7's. I was thinking of ordering the whole kit lever rotor and all this week but was guna make shure they fit first eveything would of worked except that mount and damn I found such a good price on them . So now I am back to square one looking for a new hydro kit cause my mech's make my fingers to soar after pulling on them after a long decent. thanks for all the help bud

  7. #7
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Centerlock rotors, you need a cassette lockring tool to remove the lockring. Don't get Shimano rotors if you plan on running it with anything other than a Shimano brake. The braking path is much too narrow, it will allow the pads to ride on the arms of the rotors. This will eventually lead to uneven pad wear (among other problems). Get the Centerlock to ISO adapter and run 6 bolt IS rotors. DT Swiss, Problem Solvers, Magura, etc all have one available.

  8. #8
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Nice to see you contributing so much to the MTBR community. Great to see you venturing away from the bashing, misinformation, and general asskissing of whatever products you're currently riding.

  9. #9
    Race Technician
    Reputation: Randy@Hayes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    192

    Ha!

    Now that's funny.

  10. #10
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy@Hayes
    Now that's funny.
    Hey Randy, I've got a question for you. Does HFX mean anything? Wasn't there just a Mag before the HFX Mag? Does HFX mean it uses the G2 caliper? Just wondering, thanks.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clvlc4door's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    241
    thanks man will this work for the front and rear?

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ock+To+Is.aspx

  12. #12
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by clvlc4door
    thanks man will this work for the front and rear?

    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ock+To+Is.aspx
    Yup, that's the one. It'll work for front and rear. They're the same interface.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,483
    Those look like Shimano Saint rotors/hubs. If they are, the centrelock is larger diameter than the regular Shimano centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters will not fit. I don't know of any centrelock to 6 bolt adapters that will fit the Saint hubs.

  14. #14
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    Those look like Shimano Saint rotors/hubs. If they are, the centrelock is larger diameter than the regular Shimano centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters will not fit. I don't know of any centrelock to 6 bolt adapters that will fit the Saint hubs.
    Those do not look like saint rotors, and definitely not saint hubs. His hub is Quick release, Saint is 20mm.

    Saint hubs:




    What brakes are you running? IF shimano brakes, XTR & XT &LX/Hone rotor's come in 203mm w/centerlock.

    LX/Hone is what it looks like you have so it'd be best to stick with a shimano rotor if you've still got shimano calipers
    Last edited by mtb_biker; 01-14-2007 at 03:29 PM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,483
    Those may not be Saint hubs, but what I'm saying is that Saint centrelock is not the same size as LX/XT/XTR centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters fit the LX/XT/XTR centrelock, and will not fit the Saint (and maybe Hone) centrelock.

  16. #16
    -> SickLines.com <-
    Reputation: mtb_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    Those may not be Saint hubs, but what I'm saying is that Saint centrelock is not the same size as LX/XT/XTR centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters fit the LX/XT/XTR centrelock, and will not fit the Saint (and maybe Hone) centrelock.
    That adapter will fit the Hone's, but not the Saint's. You don't have Saint's though.

  17. #17
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    Those may not be Saint hubs, but what I'm saying is that Saint centrelock is not the same size as LX/XT/XTR centrelock. Those Problem Solvers adapters fit the LX/XT/XTR centrelock, and will not fit the Saint (and maybe Hone) centrelock.
    You said they were Saint hubs, they are not. Therefore, that information is no longer pertinent (though true). Hone should be regular sized centerlock.

  18. #18
    Race Technician
    Reputation: Randy@Hayes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    192

    Yup...

    H= Hayes
    F= Full Hydraulic
    X= The X is just a filler letter, it sounded good.

    On the mechanicals (HMX) the M stands for mechanical.

    No relation to the G2 usage though.

    Randy

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You said they were Saint hubs, they are not.
    Your are miss quoting me. I said:

    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    Those look like Shimano Saint rotors/hubs. If they are, the centrelock is larger diameter than the regular Shimano centrelock.

  20. #20
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    Your are miss quoting me. I said:
    Thus implying that you thought those were Saint hubs.

    Whatever.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,483
    You're just like my 24 year old son. Always have to have the last word.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    19
    is there anyway to get the lockring off without that tool?

  23. #23
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by bmrwrld7
    is there anyway to get the lockring off without that tool?
    Not really. You could try to jerry rig something at the risk of damaging the centerlock or the rotor. It's not worth it, the tool is something like 8 bucks.

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    You're just like my 24 year old son. Always have to have the last word.
    He's just trying to get free stuff from the manufacturers, harmless otherwise.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    19
    kinda need it off by tonight..designing another in class tomorrow..


    any "jerry rig" ideas?

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,457
    Try and make a pin spanner type tool, but I don't know how well it would work engaging only a couple teeth and with the interference with the cone nut.

  27. #27
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    He's just trying to get free stuff from the manufacturers, harmless otherwise.
    No, not really. I have scored free stuff in the past though.

  28. #28
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    If you're real good, you might be able to loosen it up with a slotted screwdriver and a mallet.

    It is not recommended, and may damage the centerlock interface or the rotor.

  29. #29
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,883

    Are you kidding?

    How badly do you want to hurt your hands?

    Just get the right tool. Trusat me, and other mechanics. Get the right tool.
    gfy

  30. #30
    Are you talking to me?
    Reputation: damion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,883

    Not may, will.

    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    If you're real good, you might be able to loosen it up with a slotted screwdriver and a mallet.

    It is not recommended, and may damage the centerlock interface or the rotor.

    This method WILL damage the lockring. Once damaged, how are you going to use it again. I doubt the rotors come with the lockrings. One more part you have to buy.
    gfy

  31. #31
    Meh.
    Reputation: XSL_WiLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17,508
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    This method WILL damage the lockring. Once damaged, how are you going to use it again. I doubt the rotors come with the lockrings. One more part you have to buy.
    He needed a way to get it off that night. I had already said to get the tool.

    It will only damage one of the splines if he's careful, and thus he will be able to remove the lockring even if that spline is distorted.

    The lockrings do in fact come with the rotor. And it uses the same lockrings as cassettes.

  32. #32
    MTBR Demi-God
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    838
    Yep, shimano rotors do come with shiny new lockings... and I tried to use a flathead screwdriver to remove it.. 3 minutes into it, just gave up, got a Park cassette removal tool... a beer and a monkey wrench.... got that ring out in less than a minute flat!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: misctwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,034
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    You're just like my 24 year old son. Always have to have the last word.

    welcome to Willis' circus forum.

  34. #34
    29er Geek
    Reputation: tozovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,529
    holy hell...like a bunch of old ladies here.
    unityhandbuilt

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.