help with my brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

help with my brakes

hi all,can you help me?we went trail riding this morning with mostly downhill trails and at first i experienced for what i think brake fade-coz we were going downhill and i was really on my brkes coz it was my 1st time to go down that steep hill.As i was going down i slowly noticed that my brake wasnt stopping my bike,i almost gave up coz i became afraid because of it.But after slowing down and eventually stopping.The brakes came back on and so i proceeded going down the trail.it was more or less an 11km downhill trail and at the end trail i noticed that my front brakes were not engaging anymore.i checked the pads and they are worn but the thing that bothers me is that i really lost the grabbiness of my front brake completely.is this normal or is it because i had brake fade earlier that caused it?BTW when i had that brke fade incident,the guy behind me noticed that my rear rotors were smoking.We wikk be bleeding the system and measuring the pads on how thick?thin it is.I just replaced the pads a few days back.I am using Avid elixir CR and brake pads are alligator pads.need help,thanks

AZ
    banned
    The pads are glazed over from overheating . Did the rotors turn shades of blue ? Did you warp the rotors ? If you warped the rotors you should replace them ..You might be able to save the pads by sanding them with 120 grit sandpaper and then wiping them with Isopropyl alcohol . Also use the same grit sandpaper to sand the rotors if they are not warped , then wipe with alcohol . If you are going to frequently ride the same downhill , you may need to upgrade to larger rotors or semi mettalic pads , or both . Good luck .

mtbr member
    nope the rotors did not turn blue and they are not warped,thank goodness!i was able to with to bleed the brakelines with the help of my bike buddy.the front brakes are ok and still usable but the rear brake pads got contaminated while we were bleeding the caliper.i will have to replace the pads and clean the rotors tom.

Members who have read this thread: 0