Help, Elixir CR Mag vs. XX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Help, Elixir CR Mag vs. XX

Everyone,

Looking at new brakes and have a great deal on XX disc brakes (essentially same price as the Elixir CR Mags).

I've read that the XX brakes are for cross-country racing and trail-riding (although Specialized Enduros come with XX brakes).

The CR Mags are for everything (DH, etc).

Another thread shows the XX coming with organic pads and some have pointed out that this may cause them to be less powerful than the CR Mags.

My Juicy Ultimates with 160 rotors are occasionally overwhelmed.

So . . . if I got the XX brakes a put in the alloy-backed semi-metallic pads and 185 rotors, would they work better than my Ultimates with 160mm rotors??

or

should I just get the CR Mags??

Anyone run a set of XX brakes on long, technical downhills??

Never trust a fart
    How about just going with a larger rotor size? If they are overwhelmed, then an increase in rotor size to a 180/185 would be a smart idea.

Just switching to different brakes will not make the bike stop any better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    How about just going with a larger rotor size? If they are overwhelmed, then an increase in rotor size to a 180/185 would be a smart idea.

Just switching to different brakes will not make the bike stop any better.

I need new brakes.

The new Enduro has the XX brakes with semi-metallic pads although the SRAM website says that you can't use semi-metallic pads with these brakes.

I'm trying to find out if the XX brakes can truly handle all-mountain descending.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The elixirs are a pretty powerful brake. I have the CR mag, and they stop well....so well that you can put lighter (and less powerful) rotors on to keep the weight down. If you want a good brake for AM descending then I'd go for Elixir CR, rather than XX. a 7+6 setup will have oodles of power so you don't have to drag them for extended periods on big descents, which will stop pump or fade.
    Better brakes on AM will make you stop faster....b/c when you get to the bottom you will actually have functioning brakes.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    meph what did you choose?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    meph what did you choose?

Went with the XX as the deal I got put them within a few dollars of the CR Mag brakes.

Finally got them mounted and am riding the 185 rotor. So far, they have more power than I will ever need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What did you mount them up on? Also any problems with the vibrating? I am leaning towards the XX for a similar reason (price).

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD
    What did you mount them up on? Also any problems with the vibrating? I am leaning towards the XX for a similar reason (price).

Mounted them up to a 2010 150mm Rockshox Revelation on a Mojo SL.

No vibration, just great stopping power for little weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool, any pics?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got the XX. Now I need a longer rear hose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How do they compare to the Juicy Ultimates? Are the Ultimates known to not have much power?

also, my understanding is that the XX is basically the Elixir CR but a lighter version (is there anything functionally different). That being the case, are you really saving wt?

This is an honest question because I was considering going with a XC race brake and if it didn't have enough power, adding a 180 or if I had to a 203mm rotor to increase the power. Then I thought to myself that this would totally defeat the purpose, since I would be adding wt with a larger rotor (and adapter), NOT only that but Rotational wt. So I would be paying more for the light wt XC race brakes, then pay more for another disc and then I just added a bunch of rotational wt, so I ended up paying a lot more money for brake that is the same or more wt than the XC/AM/FR version.

btw, the XX looks like an awesome brake.

Members who have read this thread: 0