help! Can't get the front tire back on with Hopes!- Mtbr.com
    The Casual Rider

help! Can't get the front tire back on with Hopes!

Got some Hope disc brakes on the bike, and while taking the bike off his bike rack, my friend squeezed the handle which closed the brake calipers against each other, so now I cannot re-install my front tire due to the fact that the disc can't fit inbetween. Surely there is a fix, anyone know what it may be?

thanks
    I came, I rode, and I crashed!
    My Bike

mtbr member
    Remove pads. Insert somthing stiff beween the pistons. Push 'em back into the caliper. Reinstall pads. Install wheel. Ride.

The Casual Rider
    the remove pads sounds scary... Is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks btw
    I came, I rode, and I crashed!
    My Bike

mtbr member
    I havn't messed with Hopes before, but I've yet to find a brake where it was remotely difficult.

...idios...
    Don't remove the pads, it's not necessary. The pads face up to the pistons, so just get a flat-head screwdriver, wedge it between the pads then lever them back evenly against the caliper body. If the pads are flush with the caliper then so are the pistons, which is what you're after. Note that you'll need to 'pump' the lever a few time to get the pistons reset to their correct working position.
    If you do ever need to push the pistons themselves back into the caliper, use something like a plastic tyre lever or something similar that won't scratch the piston (unlikely) or damage the body of the caliper (easier than you might think).
    Hope brakes are very simple to work on. Like most things, it's only a matter of confidence. Check the user instructions (you can download them from Hope if you don't have them) for a description of changing pads; it's much more simple than changing pads on a V-brake. You may also like to check out this thread which includes Hope's bleed instruction with pictures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Don't remove the pads, it's not necessary.
    Well, it depends on just how close together the pads are. Obviously it's pretty tight, or this thread wouldn't exist. The extra room afforded by not having the pads in the way might make pushing the pistons back a lot easier.

...idios...
    "Well, it depends on just how close together the pads are. The extra room afforded by not having the pads in the way might make pushing the pistons back a lot easier."

I agree completely, my point is simply that removing the pads is not necessary. If the pads have somehow become pressed together (bearing in mind that it usually takes at least four complete pull/release actions of the lever to 'jam' the pads), then the screwdriver can be turned like a key to push on the overlap of back-plate of each pad, thus returning the pistons until there is sufficient room to leverage the pads. It should be possible to use an Allen key side-on to similar effect. Typically, Hope pistons will move very easily past the seals.

"Obviously it's pretty tight, or this thread wouldn't exist."

This may not apply to the OP, so please take it in the spirit for which it is intended, but we could probably have a forum especially for the multitude of mountains that have been made from molehills. I've been guilty of it myself on more than one occasion, as I'm sure that (former) MTBR member Cubby would attest to...
    Last edited by SteveUK; 10-05-2007 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    as I'm sure that (former) MTBR member Cubby would attest to...
    That thread was great. Linky.

Members who have read this thread: 0