Hayes w/ Klein 01' and Black 02'- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hayes w/ Klein 01' and Black 02'

I'm trying to figure out what my brother needs to get his bike set up with some 04' MX1-Hayes(mechanical). His front would be 74mm post mounts. Does Hayes come ready for installation? All the sites I've visited conflict in whats included in the purchase of the brakes; some say to get the mounting bracket, other no it come with it.
    Then for the rear the Klein has 22mm post mounts. The adapter comes in IS/51mm only, will I have to get the IS/51mm bracket too? Will the IS/22mm adapter work with other brakes?
    The only reason he chooses Hayes is because they are the only ones who make the 22mm adapter. He also chooses mechanical because he doesn't trust the reliability of hydro. Too many stories of broken hydro lines. thanks

Village Idiot
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    I'm trying to figure out what my brother needs to get his bike set up with some 04' MX1-Hayes(mechanical). His front would be 74mm post mounts. Does Hayes come ready for installation? All the sites I've visited conflict in whats included in the purchase of the brakes; some say to get the mounting bracket, other no it come with it.
    Then for the rear the Klein has 22mm post mounts. The adapter comes in IS/51mm only, will I have to get the IS/51mm bracket too? Will the IS/22mm adapter work with other brakes?
    The only reason he chooses Hayes is because they are the only ones who make the 22mm adapter. He also chooses mechanical because he doesn't trust the reliability of hydro. Too many stories of broken hydro lines. thanks
    As far as the front fork, you are 100% good to go with a Hayes HMX or any of there other brakes. You simply don't use the supplied IS adapter for the front. The rear brake will be tough though. Hayes never made the HMX brakes in a 22mm direct mount configuration. Even more unfortunate is that because the 22mm mount is on the chainstay (vs. the seatstay) a current IS adapter with a caliper won't fit in the rear triangle. So you are pretty much stuck with Hayes hydraulic brakes. Hayes still supplies a limited number of caliper halves that have the 22mm mount. Some on-line retailers (Cambria I believe is one of them) have them in stock. Switching out caliper halves means a complete bleed of the system, which may be a job for the LBS. You may be able to find a complete caliper, or even a complete brake if you look around (some retailers have a sizeable stock of NOS parts, or E-bay).
    The other option is going with a Brake Therapy retrofit kit that will give you the IS tabs you need. This, however, will be fairly spendy and not as clean looking. I was lucky to purchase my Klein in 2002, when they ditched the 22mm mount and went with the somewhat better IS bolt on adapter (which had some problems of its own). Yet another option is to simply put a disc up front and leave the vee-brake in the back. Not as good as a full disc set-up, but close. You still get a substantial increase in power and modulation where its needed most. Good luck.
    -Ryan