hayes stroker trail brakes. any advise?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

hayes stroker trail brakes. any advise?

anyone have hayes stroker trail disc brakes do you like them? or should go with XT. I want go 10 speed setup and need new brakes. I do xc riding on a trek ex 9. any advise. on the brakes. thanks

mtbr member
    I have them, and i like them, i used to have sintered pads and they made a good amouunt of noise, but since i replaced them with semi-metals they are great. I just upgraded to 7inch rotors cause im riding harder now, but when i had the 6inch rotors they were still solid.
    They lever adjust is really nice, cause sometimes its good to have them closer to the bars, and they are pretty easy to maintain. Going on 2 years, and i have yet to need to bleed them.
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

mtbr member
    My wife's are very nice, I like them better than my Shimanos and wish I would have picked up a second set for myself when they were $60/each earlier this year.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

Yayer!
    On a sidenote....upgrading the hydraulic hoses to braided steel (I went with Goodridge) makes a world of difference on the Trails. I don't run them anymore (sold em off) but they felt really solid and powerful after the swap.
    Broken ankles = bullshit!

mtbr member

early sets had issues

I bought an early set that had a ton of lever friction, the levers would take 10 seconds to return and felt terrible, a call to hayes and they shipped a set of pistons, springs and a pack of lube. I did the work myself so it cost me nothing to install them but some people would have had to pay to have them installed but I've been very happy with them in the 2 years since I did the upgrade. The last couple years production have had the upgrade so they should all be great.

ronbo613

Nothing But Problems

I had Stroker Trails for about a season; one problem after another until they finally failed completely(after Hayes rebuilt them).
    The sintered pads squeal and grab, using semi-metallic pads will take care of that, but they wear out pretty quickly. Had big problems with the master cylinders; levers sticking, caliper pistons not returning, etc. Rebuilt them once myself, they worked for awhile then had more problems. Sent the whole brake system back to Hayes, they rebuilt the whole thing, a short time later a master cylinder failed completely.
    Hayes does have good customer service, but only to a point. They will send you parts to work on problems yourself and even rebuild them, like they did for me, but that's it. If your problems are more than that, you're out of luck. Also, I am not a Hayes basher; I had Hayes Mag 9 brakes on my previous bike, they were great. I also like to support American companies whenever possible.
    I have Shimano M775 brakes now and the difference is night and day, but the Shimanos cost more so it may not be a fair comparison.
    I've heard that Hayes Stroker problems were in an early part of their production, maybe they are better now. I was a pretty loyal Hayes customer, they left me hanging, I lost a lot of riding time because of their brakes. I'll never buy Hayes again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm running a set of OEM Carbons that I got for a steal. They are only about 100 miles old but so far, no issues (KOW). I'd buy them again.

Davir
    I had a similar experience with Hayes they sent me parts as well as rebuilding my brakes 2 times one time no improvement at all the second service actually helped a lot but they only stopped reliably for another month or so in the mean time i was using some old avid bb7 at least 3 years old so i could stop my bike they were on there more than the Hayes and they still are i just adjust them every month or so use good cables and its a reliable trouble free effective low cost system and its not just Hayes my bike at the time originally had juicy threes after 6 months they were toast. However my son has some Formulas on his bike and they have so far been impressive great feel and no issues.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey dbikeco,

I posted a review on Shimano's XT M775 brakes. Take a look, IMO I have posted the most objective and concise review concerning them. After I sold the XT's, I bought some Stroker Trails. I have not posted a review on the Trails, but they definitely have noticeably more power than the XT's.

I will qualify this by saying that my riding is trials-urban/dirt jumper style riding. I.e., not much in the way of high speed or long descents. Lots of people rave about the XT's being powerful, but I never felt it. I think my riding style provides a limited perspective: I never really get my brakes hot. Maybe, at higher speeds, I'd have a better perspective. For my type of riding, the Strokers give me more initial grab and overall power. They definitely do not modulate as well as the XT's. If you do technical type riding, such as feathering the back brake while doing wheelies, you'll notice it. Otherwise, not.

One piece of advice with the Strokers: they had poor pad retraction and drag when I got them. It was only when I bled the brakes and flushed the fluid that the pads retracted properly (the original fluid was practically fresh, not dirty). From a mechanical perspective, changing the fluid shouldn't affect pad retraction, but in my case it did. No, there was not too much fluid in the system, originally, either.

My bottom-line advice to you: if you are not power hungry with your brakes and will not subject them to cold temperatures go with the XT's. I found them superior to my Strokers in every respect but power. For me, the XT's are not powerful enough. My Strokers have been relatively trouble free, but the XT's seem to be a much high quality product.

Oh, as you can tell by people's replies, and this goes for almost any and every single brake out there, the replies will always be mixed. Some people get lucky, and others end up pulling their hair out.

Davir

true that

get a good set your good get bad ones and their just that way that's the general consensus out at the trail head too.

mtbr member
    I've been using Stroker Trails for the past two years (approx 2000 miles). I'm on my second set of pads and haven't bled them yet. Overall, they have been good brakes and I'm suprised how much people seem to complain about Hayes products.

+'s
    Good modulation
    Relatively quiet

-'s
    Not as strong as Juicy's
    Front brake lever was sticky (until I lubed the underside with Pedro's Synlube)
    LBS doesn't sell brake pads (not an issues unless it's the Friday before a race)
    Heavy

Before next season I am going bleed the front and rear brakes. Hopefully this increases the braking performance. Steel braided lines are an interesting upgrade but I don't know how much they weigh and they are fairly expensive.

For the price, these brakes are almost impossible to beat. Jenson is selling Carbons for $80's and Trails can be had for almost the same price.

Singletrack Slayer
    Great brakes, I got 2 sets of trails and 1 set of carbons, some 2+ yrs, bled them once, they have been maintaince free and I like them, I have owned older models and been happy with them.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hayes tech support is fantastic. I had a sticky lever and within days of email to techsupport, I had new pistons and lube. Change out took minutes and they actually feel more powerful this time around. Had stroker trails for 3 years now and at 180 pounds I subjected them to a lot of abuse. I use Ace on DH bike and compared toy formulas, both hayes brands work just as well. Sticking with Hayes for life because with Hayes you get to deal with people who call or email you back in a to timely manner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I put about 1500 miles on my stroker carbon brakes last year with 0 issues and great performance. I took them off the bike this year, but I wouldn't hesitate to run them forever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    hayes strokers all the way, way better then XTs, ive had mine for about a year now and let me tell ya they grab when demanded, i wasnt fond to much of the XTs not enough power as every said they were, so i vote for the hayes brakes.

Members who have read this thread: 0