Hayes Stroker Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hayes Stroker Trail

Has anyone had any problems with their Hayes Stokers?

I got the rear working perfect, but the front is now fading badly. I currently bled the front three times now and now i'm pretty sure there is now air in the system. The lever squeeze is very firm. There is no way I'm taking these to the trail like this.

I"m hoping that the pads are just contaminated, so I just ordered a fresh set and will know once I install them. I've already cleaned and lightly sanded the rotor just to be on the safe side. Still no help.

I've never had such a hard time getting a brake system to work. I have a set of Avid Elixir R SL brakes on my XC bike and they work great. In fact the bleeding procedure is so simple, especially compared to they Hayes. I'm starting to regret my purchase of the Hayes at the moment. What a pain.

mtbr member
    i have the hayes on my bike stock and im getting very frustrated with them as well.

what pisses me off the most is there is NO gap adjustment for the pads. why the hell wouldnt you have some type of adjustment for the pads? friggin dumb.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wouldn't this solve your problem of setting the pad gap?

Feel R Gage | Hayes Disc Brake

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Waltah, aside from mechanicals and the old Sole and I believe olllld Maguras, no hydro has an adjustable pad gap feature. Sure, bite point adjust, but pad gap is constant on all manufacturers's brakes according to design. With that, there are ways to 'cheat' a bit more gap out of a brake, and I'm sure others have covered that here in the forums.

To the OP, did you buy the brakes new or from a 2nd party? How did you bed the pads in? And by fade do you mean the brake lever is firm but the pucker power of the brake fades or that the lever starts to go to the bar? Different foks have different ideas on what fade is so sorry if that seems a bit condescending.
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sounds like your pads are contaminated. I feel like there are brakes out there with more power but mine work fine. A little picky on the bleeding though.

I have a set that was contaminated, I'm gonna try the frying pan method to burn the oily substance out of it.

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
    Has anyone had any problems with their Hayes Stokers?

I got the rear working perfect, but the front is now fading badly. I currently bled the front three times now and now i'm pretty sure there is now air in the system. The lever squeeze is very firm. There is no way I'm taking these to the trail like this.

I"m hoping that the pads are just contaminated, so I just ordered a fresh set and will know once I install them. I've already cleaned and lightly sanded the rotor just to be on the safe side. Still no help.

I've never had such a hard time getting a brake system to work. I have a set of Avid Elixir R SL brakes on my XC bike and they work great. In fact the bleeding procedure is so simple, especially compared to they Hayes. I'm starting to regret my purchase of the Hayes at the moment. What a pain.
    if the lever is firm what makes you think there is air in the system?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    if the lever is firm what makes you think there is air in the system?
    Sorry, "No" air. Typo

Well, I just got new pads and cleaned and sanded the rotor for good measure. A little better, but still not much in the bite department. This is starting to frustrate me now. At least it's giving me more time to focus on things like pedal punchs and pedal kicks LOL.

I hope that the pads just need a little more time to bed in. To bad the front wasn't as good as the rear. The rear feels great and has tons of bite. I got a set of Magura rotors I may try just to see it that changes anything.

I have figured out a way to bleed the Hayes system really good though. You basically need two syringes to do it properly.