Hayes stroker shortening hose- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Hayes stroker shortening hose

Is there a DIY with pics for this? I suck at the search but i did search and found nothing good. With so many people having strokers they should have this **** on their site.

Meh.
    They DO have it on their site.

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/Stroke...EnglishWeb.pdf

A. Hose Removal and Assembly (Figure 5)
    The following procedures are to be used when replacing or removing the hose.
    • Master Cylinder Hose Removal – For Stroker Ryde/Trail/Carbon and Gram
    and
    Caliper Hose Removal– For Stroker Ryde
    1. To take the hose off of the master cylinder end, slide the nose cone down the hose.
    2. Using a 8mm box wrench, remove the hose nut and slide it all the way down the hose.
    3. Slide the hose out of the end of the master cylinder/caliper. There will be some residual fluid in the hose and master cylinder / caliper. Be careful to avoid spilling that fluid.
    4. A new hose insert/compression bushing combination will be needed each time the hose is re-installed. Remove the old compression bushing and hose insert by cutting the hose
    next to the compression bushing. The cut needs to be clean with no frayed ends.
    • Master Cylinder Hose Assembly– For Stroker Ryde/Trail/Carbon and Gram
    and
    Caliper Hose Assembly– For Stroker Ryde
    1. Cut the hose to the desired length with good scissors or cable cutters. The cut end must be clean and perpendicular to the hose itself.
    NOTE: Do not cut the caliper end of the hose for the Stroker Trail/Carbon and Gram as there is a permanent crimp on the hose.
    2. When attaching the hose to the master cylinder, slide the nose cone onto the master cylinder side of the hose.
    3. Slide the hose nut over the hose.
    4. Push the end of the barbed hose insert/compression bushing combination into the end of the hose. Be sure it is inserted flush with the end of the hose.
    Always use a new hose insert/compression bushing combination.
    5. Slide the hose into the master cylinder/caliper and install the hose nut. Be sure that the hose is inserted completely into the master cylinder end. Be sure the hose
    remains inserted while tightening.
    6. Using an 8mm open-end wrench, torque the hose nut to 70 +/- 5 in/lb.
    7. Bleed the system

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Awesome, thanks. Do you have to have the compression bushing or can the old one be used? Is this something i need to order or do most shops have them? Also, do i have to use hayes fluid or will any dot 3 or 4 work?

Thanks again.

edit: guess i have to order a bleeder fitting also, no fittings came with my brakes.
    Last edited by The Diesel; 12-04-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Meh.
    You should use a new bushing. If the shop has a Hayes small parts kit, they might have it.

Any glycol based DOT fluid will be fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    You should use a new bushing. If the shop has a Hayes small parts kit, they might have it.

Any glycol based DOT fluid will be fine.
    Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0