Hayes stroker install- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Hayes stroker install

Just got my Hayes stroker trails in the mail. They are prebled but came with no installation instructions. Any tips or tricks i should know before installing them? How to center the caliper maybe?

ronbo613
    I usually loosen the caliper bolts; spin the wheel, then slowly squeeze the lever until the wheel stops. Tighten the caliper bolts evenly, let go of the lever, spin the wheel and see how it looks. Sometimes I have to look in the caliper slot and do a little fine tuning by loosening the caliper bolts and nudging the caliper towards the side that may be rubbing.
    In my experience; the pads may rub ever so slightly when they are new; that goes away after a few rides. After a hundred miles or so; I usually do a quick re-adjustment so the brake pads wear evenly.
    If you have real alignment problems; tear a business card or matchbook in half; stick one half on each side of the rotor; then do the adjustment.

ride hard take risks
    Here is a video on how to bleed the Strokers but the ending is pretty much same as installing. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=415647

If your accustomed to bleeding brakes you know you'll find what works for you using all the information available on the forum.

If your new to hydros good chance as some have mentioned you'll stay confused.

You may need to shorten one or both of the hoses if this happens fallow the Hayes video.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

ronbo613

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well i got em installed and took a quick ride around the block and everything seems fine. No rubbing, dings or pings, and no squealing yet but i wont be shocked if they do. What kind of break in do i need to do?

I will need to shorten the cables but ill have to order a bleed fitting for the top of the lever to bleed them i think? Is there a vid or diy for shortening cables? Like, how the fittings work , which side to cut from and such?

edit, yes these are my first hydros but not first time bleeding and installing.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diesel
    Well i got em installed and took a quick ride around the block and everything seems fine. No rubbing, dings or pings, and no squealing yet but i wont be shocked if they do. What kind of break in do i need to do?

I will need to shorten the cables but ill have to order a bleed fitting for the top of the lever to bleed them i think? Is there a vid or diy for shortening cables? Like, how the fittings work , which side to cut from and such?

edit, yes these are my first hydros but not first time bleeding and installing.
    Their are a ton of recipes for break in I just go hit up some DH trails and not worry they'll bed in just fine.

You can use the same fitting as the Juicy kit, check a LBS for a spare laying around. Your instructions are good otherwise check the video, shorten the master end. Be careful with the bleed screw and fittings they are sometimes slightly seized/seated and can be tough to loosen.

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/support_downloads.shtml
    Formotion Products

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I just installed mine

They work pretty well but both ends rub Back to the drawing board on these brakes. I ask myself, "Why do I ever not buy Shimano brakes?"

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    They work pretty well but both ends rub Back to the drawing board on these brakes. I ask myself, "Why do I ever not buy Shimano brakes?"
    Because you dont know how to set them up properly, dank 5 sets and no major complaints here.
    Formotion Products

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Because you dont know how to set them up properly, dank 5 sets and no major complaints here.
    I have two bike shops look at them and they are befuddled. They just rub like crazy and makes a turkey gobble noise. I have an old LX and XT set on two other bikes and are silent, never rub, and modulate awesome. I guess I know how to set them up

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Constantly rubbing? or on and off while riding? Either a pad is moving around, or your rotor is not perfectly straight, or you wheel/frame is flexing. I just expect to hear rubbing and stuff cause my frame flexes quite a bit. But constant contact with pad is something i cannot deal with.

ride hard take risks
    I have two bike shops look at them and they are befuddled. They just rub like crazy and makes a turkey gobble noise. I have an old LX and XT set on two other bikes and are silent, never rub, and modulate awesome. I guess I know how to set them up
    What happens when you pump the lever??
    Formotion Products

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

lack of rotor gap

Constantly rubbing? or on and off while riding? Either a pad is moving around, or your rotor is not perfectly straight, or you wheel/frame is flexing. I just expect to hear rubbing and stuff cause my frame flexes quite a bit. But constant contact with pad is something i cannot deal with.
    The levers have hardly any throw and it is almost impossible to get the pads to come out equally creating rub. My Shimano brakes NEVER rub when I'm rubbing. I am going to send them back to Jenson.com and buy some SLX. Just sent an email. I have not got time for high maintenance brakes. Say goodbye Hayes!

Jaybo

ride hard take risks
    The levers have hardly any throw and it is almost impossible to get the pads to come out equally creating rub. My Shimano brakes NEVER rub when I'm rubbing. I am going to send them back to Jenson.com and buy some SLX. Just sent an email. I have not got time for high maintenance brakes. Say goodbye Hayes!

Jaybo
    Cool stick with what works for you and dont bring grief to what you dont rub. You know how it goes when you try something new, so the SLX will be perfect.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Iv had bad luck with a friends shimanos while riding his bike occasionally. Rubbing and the occasional pinging, then silence, the pull the lever snd hey squeal like a stuck pig. The a mile later they are perfect.

I still havent had time to ride and break the pad in but i did ride to the corner store last night and these things are amazing compared to my avid mechanicals. Im very happy for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Got these things pretty much broken in and wow, they can be dangerous lol.

ride hard take risks
    Got these things pretty much broken in and wow, they can be dangerous lol.
    Time to work on them nose wheelies ayyy.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Time to work on them nose wheelies ayyy.
    Thats exactly what i was doing lol. I want to nose wheelie into a 180 for quick turnarounds. Iv got 90 degrees so far about 50% of the time.

ride hard take risks
    Thats exactly what i was doing lol. I want to nose wheelie into a 180 for quick turnarounds. Iv got 90 degrees so far about 50% of the time.
    You'll get there just keep playing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hayes stroker install-cam-360-675.jpg  

Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    good god.

Members who have read this thread: 0