hayes stroker gram rear as front- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

hayes stroker gram rear as front

wanted to get a set of these from price point at the 100 bucks a piece price but wasn't sure if my idea would work... can i use a rear brake setup on the front. i know i will have to trim the hose but besides that will it work? the levers and caliper are made to run on either side so you can run moto style or traditional bike style i am just not sure if they have specific front or rear calipers.

mtbr member
    Assuming they come with adapters and rotors, you'll need to buy either a different adapter or a different rotor for the front, but other than that it'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    so does anybody know for sure if the levers can be run on either side, and if the claipers for the front and rear packages are the same.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb
    so does anybody know for sure if the levers can be run on either side, and if the claipers for the front and rear packages are the same.
    The levers and calipers are interchangeable, and I don't think mine came with caliper adapters - OR the correct bleed fitting - which you will need.

I wouldn't recommend these brakes. They are weak, a pain to set up, and an absolute horror to bleed.

I would get the M765 XT lever / caliper pair Pricepoint has for $160 instead.
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...ake-System.htm

mtbr member
    strokers dont have specific calipers, i have trails and the front and rear are the same.

Also, just so you have a something to compare, i ride trails front and rear on 180mm rotors, used to be 160's, and i like them alot, i have yet to need to bleed them, going on 2 years, and i got a aset of semi-metallic pads and the modulation and power is great. i only went to bigger rotors cause im starting to ride bigger.

Also, be careful with shimanos if you ride in the cold, mineral oil has a way higher freezing point than dot4/5 fluid.

(by higher i mean closer to 0)
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

You know my steez...
    I have Stroker Grams.

The front and rear calipers are exactly the same. The rear caliper requires a mount, the front mounts directly to my Fox fork. I use 160 mm rotors front and rear on a trail bike (Ibis Mojo). I run mine moto style, no problem.

The Grams are strong and so far I haven't had to bleed them once in two years of use. I use Wind Cutter rotors which provide more bite than the stock Hayes rotors. They work great with the simi metallic aluminum backed pads that came with the brakes.

I love the adjustable levers carbon levers and they feel great in my hands. The best thing is the modulation which is far superior to the Hayes Nine brakes these replaced.
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Funny, I was thinking of doing the same thing. I frankensteined my bike together a while back and have different front and rear brand brakes, but my rear is the Hayes Gram stroker. If you're a novice weight weenie like me, then these are fantastic. I've been happy with them, and actually like the guy who uses the windcutter rotors, that does seem to have made a difference in the initial bite of the brake. Modulation is decent. I run mine moto style right now, so I can tell you the levers can be flipped easily. As a matter of fact, I think I just made up my mind and am ordering one of those rear sets from price point to replace my current front. If you haven't done it yet, I'll let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I actually already did it. The price was right although i had to add a bleed kit and and a pair of hose cutters it was still way worth it.. With that stuff included it is still under 250 for what I would consider some really light brakes with good clamping power.. Still waiting for my rear rotor from china.. That is the only place I could find the140mm rotor alligator wind cutter one. Trimming the brake hose was super easy also. I also love the lever reach adjustment. I got long fingers so I can get the lever way out there like I want it

Members who have read this thread: 0