hayes stroker ace - another low end waste?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

hayes stroker ace - another low end waste?

i built up my freeride bike with juicy 5s (203 rotors) and they just aren't powerful for me at all (and i'm only 150lbs. i've bled them several times and not even close to my k24s with 185 rotors)...i wanted to upgrade but all the good brakes are pricey (saints, hopes, codes, etc). i'm finding deals on the stroker ace brakes though and wondering if it's just another low end junk brake or legit. the price is super low for these, and i've already been bitten once by the juicy's. any opinions????

mtbr member
    How much exactly are you being offered the Aces for? Cause I see pricepoint has the 09 code for 130 (front only) - maybe that's all you need or you can use your current hoses if they're compat. If you can find the Aces for less than that, I'd jump on it.

mtbr member
    pricepoint has the ace's for $120 but i'm more worried about just getting another low power brake more than anything...no point having another pair of juicy's again. im starting to learn you get what you pay for, but was hoping the ace was not the case.

ride hard take risks
    Their is not much difference between the 5 & 7 Juicys which are both excellent.

Mark Weir uses Strokers but he knows how to ride.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Try new (or different compound) pads. I have seen poor braking cured with new pads when the owner did not think he could have contaminated pads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just jumped on the Hayes Stroker Ace bandwagon. They look nice thus far, but I haven't mounted them up. I will have a ride report later this week. I have heard nothing but good about them thus far, and the price is hard to beat.

I have the old generation Hayes brakes, and while they are not amazing, they are the only brakes that have held up to my riding style for more than 2 years.
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    i'd love to see your ride report. you using them for trail or dh? very curious about the stroker ace since they are cheap, but i just dont care if they're cheap if power is the same (and i had old hayes hfx9s before and they sucked compared to my formula k24s on my trail bike).

as for my juicy's, i have new pads in the front and still the same performance (and they are bled fine)...i'm sure juicy's are fine, and i've tried them on my friends bikes for trail riding and it was strong enough, but on a freeride/dh bike weighing twice as much something just isn't working.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I ride 80% agressive xc and 20% free/dh. I won't be riding dh for a bit, but I will have a feel for them on a few local difficult trails. I maxed out my XTs, so I have them to compare to
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a set of stroker aces, they are on my freeridey/xc bike (6/6 travel) the brakes have some serious pucker power.My friend uses them on his full on big bike dh style and he's over 200 lbs.I used the regular strokers on my giant glory 0 for some dh this year and they were fine. The longer pads require a bit more accuracy in bolting up the caliper,but that's it bolt them up straight and go riding. Next year i think i'm gonna swap brakes between the bikes,i didn't shorten the hoses.

mtbr member
    Hmm, surprised I didn't see that on pricepoint. Anyways here's the mtbr review page for it. It seems, no unhappy souls yet.

mbtr member
    there's something wrong with your juicies. Probably contaminated pads, maybe you havent used them enough. They're proven brakes.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by monkies
    (and i had old hayes hfx9s before and they sucked compared to my formula k24s on my trail bike).
    HFX9's are great for budget or to meet a price point.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i would say try different compound pad (if they make them) ...... just like motorcycles pads can make all the difference.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Juicys suck. Avid Pads Suck. Replace Avid pads and you'll have "better" brakes but I've found BB7's will out stop Juicy's 9/10 times.

I've been on the Stroker Ace's for about 6 Months now. To start off Im NOT a Hayes fan. BUT, I've had nothing but good experiences with the Stroker Ace. I ride in Northern California on a lot of lift days and agressive XC/AM stuff.

Ashland, OR
    Mt. Shasta - Entertainer
    Downyville
    Northstar Tahoe

Hometown - Redding, CA & Whiskeytown Lake Trail System.

ZERO Fade
    Good Pad life, I'm half way through the rear pads after a LOT of lift days.
    More than enough power with GREAT Modulation.
    Nice Lever feel.
    Good looking Calipers, So.so Master Cylinder.

I'm going to switch pads to KoolStop next which I'm sure will see a 100% improvement over the stock Hayes Pads (notoriously crap like Avid).

Truly a great stopper, I'd still trade for Shimano Saint but only because I'm a shimano whore not because they work better.

08 Titus El Guapo

mtbr member
    Jeez - Jensonusa has the stroker trails (plain packaging whatever that is) for $70 an end. I thinks that is a pretty good deal.....

nevermind - aces are better then trails....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Just mounted mine up tonight...haven't ridden them on the trails yet but based on my "flip myself over the bars test" these bad boys have some serious power. This is even using the windcutter super light weight rotors (8inch front, 6inch rear).
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    what does plan packaging mean anyway

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    what does plan packaging mean anyway
    Think Plain Package
    Formotion Products

Live 2 Ride
    Plain packaging means they were taken off a bike that wasn't sold and stripped to sell piece by piece.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Or

OEM buy outs. The set that the OEM builders don't use they liquidate. They come packaged in a bag with everything you need except a box and any extras

mtbr member
    I have the new saints on one bike and the ace on another. They are both pretty awesome brakes. The Strokers modulate better but I think the Saints have a little more power. They are both pretty much silent once you have them broken in.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    I have the new saints on one bike and the ace on another. They are both pretty awesome brakes. The Strokers modulate better but I think the Saints have a little more power. They are both pretty much silent once you have them broken in.
    If you had to choose one for a 80% AM/FR bike and 20% DH, which would you choose?
    GG Smash

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    If you had to choose one for a 80% AM/FR bike and 20% DH, which would you choose?
    They are both super powerful and would be fine for either... I guess since the Hayes has such smooth modulation I would go with the Ace.

Plus, the replacement pads for the Ace are waaaaay more reasonable.

They had black/gold Ace's at interbike... as opposed to the silver/reds so looks wise if you like the Saints, you can get the Ace to look like that also.
    "It looks flexy"

There's no app for this.

Agree w/Scottzg, fix the Avids

I'm 200+ with gear and my 1st year 2006 Avid 5's are almost as powerful as Magura Gustav FR brakes, but way too grabby for me. I'm running the same pads that are OEM and they show little wear after 3 years of hard riding in BC on the 'shore and other wet steep trails.

Bleeding isn't the issue, I'd be putting on some new pads and calling it a day. With your big rotors, your biggest issue should be the brakes locking up and not modulating well.

Jim

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    Jim

How are you and the lady?
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Good job!

try diff pads cause BIGGER disc should make modulation BETTER ..... im transferring my experience with motorcycle brakes over to my YETI ASX brakes ....
    pulled the calipers, buzzed my disc with these from harbor freight- http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94196 the red/blue/brown disc in pic)
    pull pads
    clean caliper pistons/seals w/ purple power and toothbrush (pull lever and push pistons out a bit more before pushing them back in to install pads)
    wipe clean
    scuff pads with 180 grit sandpaper
    put pads back in
    pull lever
    make sure caliper is CENTERED ON DISC
    SHIM AS NEEDED (had to use a small washer on my 755 shimanos)
    break in as described above (up to speed, pull brakes hard, x2/3)
    this made my back brakes center up PERFECT and have a perfect pad/disc contact patch (used bike,dirty brakes,well used)
    same goes for fronts .....

Members who have read this thread: 0