Hayes MX-2 Mechanical Problems- Mtbr.com
    Looking to Start Racing

New question here. Hayes MX-2 Mechanical Problems

I recently installed the Hayes MX-2 Mechanical brakes front and rear on my bike. I had some issues with not a lot of power, so I took my bike to my LBS (which is like 45min away....not so local) and they did a tune up.....now my brakes feel like they replaced my pads with butter......my rear brake has "some" stopping power, and the front literally has none. If I pedal for 5 feet, then grab the brakes as hard as I can, it takes about 5 feet to slow down to a stop.

I had read many reviews about the MX-2s and most said they had insane stopping power.....I just don't see it.

The LBS said to bring them back, but i'm not to keen on spending the gas money to take it back, and have them look at a problem they were supposed to fix, instead of making it 100% worse. I stood there watching them work on it, and they burnt the oil off the pads and rotors, and then they test rode it and said it was all fixed, and much better then it was.....which is crap considering it is much worse.

Not sure what to do, so lookin to hear some suggestions. I will take it back if that's the consensus, but was just hoping maybe someone had any ideas I could try.
    I'm not new to the sport by any means, and i'm no stranger to bike maintenance, hind sight being 20/20 I would never have taken it to them in the first place.
    Evolve or Die

Heck Yes!
    Had the same problem when I first got the mx2's. I solved the problem by going down a big ass hill (road) and pedaled down as fast as I could then just slammed fairly hard on the brakes once I got down about half the hill. burned them in real quick and now they're great! really great, acually very impressed with 'em! just make sure you have room to stop!
    Yeah! I can bust a wheelie!

Looking to Start Racing
    hmm, I never actually thought about burning them in......this may work, I will try that tomorrow

If this works a big Thanks to you
    If this doesn't work...i'll be sendin my Doctor bills to ya =) (lol jk)
    Evolve or Die

Looking to Start Racing
    Unfortunatly that did not fix the problem.

Any other suggestions?
    Evolve or Die

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Have a play around with them, they might need a bit of fine tuning.

Installation Instructions: http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/wp-content/themes/hdb/pdf/MX2MechDiscInstall4LanguageEnglishWeb.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I once had trouble with my MX2 brakes when the pads had a bit of wear in them and the actuating arm ran out of travel before the pads were fully clamping the rotor. Other than that time, my MX2s always had awesome stopping power. Eventually I got BB7s and they are nicer and more adjustable. I like them, but now I know that MX2 is not junk like many say.

Another thing to try is lightly sanding the pads and rotor, then cleaning with brake cleaner. Adjust carefully to ensure you're not out of travel, the pads are hitting the rotor, break them in and it should be good.

Looking to Start Racing
    I had the bike taken to my LBS, and they burned the pads and the rotors with propane torches, they said it was to burn off the oil from the manufacturer......well after 1, 2 hour ride my pads went from practically brand new to falling apart and almost completely worn.

So I am going to buy new pads, possibly some better cables and do some adjustments of my own, because their suggestion was to buy new calipers......yet the calipers are brand new a month ago, and have maybe 60km (25 miles approx) on them.

This has made me lose a small bit of faith in my LBS, which is unfortunate seeing as they are great guys, but nothing about this whole thing went right from the beginning.
    Evolve or Die

Members who have read this thread: 0