Hayes Lever Problems- Mtbr.com
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Jan 2004

Hayes Lever Problems

Hi everyone, i'm completely new to disc brakes and Im already having problems. My rear lever is not firm at all, it will compress almost all the way to the shifters. I'm using Hayes HFX9 XC's, if that changes anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Village Idiot
    Jan 2004

Sound's like it just needs to be bled....

Quote Originally Posted by Justintime
    Hi everyone, i'm completely new to disc brakes and Im already having problems. My rear lever is not firm at all, it will compress almost all the way to the shifters. I'm using Hayes HFX9 XC's, if that changes anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    If the lever feels spongy, then there are some air bubbles in the line. The HFX-9's have a rediculous bleeder cap on the lever body (IMO). Its a simple cap that slides off instead of a screw. The cap shouldn't come off under normal usage and riding, but if someone curiously removed it and touched the lever at all, some air will enter the master cylinder. If it's a brand new bike, it's possible a mechanic (or maybe even a customer, who knows) played around with it and this happened. The brakes are pre-bled at the Hayes factory by a machine, so it's rare that the fault lies with them, though possible. Nevertheless, you can take the bike to your LBS and have them bleed it. Hayes has bleed instructions on their website, but it's recommended that you buy their bleed kit because it has the special fitting for the bleeders at the caliper and lever. Since you're new to this, I'd recommend taking it to a shop. They might be kind enough to show you how to do it yourself. Hope this helps.
    -Ryan

Santa Cruz, CA
    Jan 2004
    thank you very much Ryan