mtbr member
    May 2006

Hayes HFX9 front rotor noise

I just pruchased the Trek liquid with the 8" front rotor and it rattles all the time the trek dealer told me this was normal He also stated the only way to get rid of the noise is to go to the 6" rotor so I did and the noise is gone . Does this sound right to you guys. I really like the idea of the larger brake but don't want the noise so let me know what you think
    Thanks
    Tim S

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim S
    I just pruchased the Trek liquid with the 8" front rotor and it rattles all the time the trek dealer told me this was normal He also stated the only way to get rid of the noise is to go to the 6" rotor so I did and the noise is gone . Does this sound right to you guys. I really like the idea of the larger brake but don't want the noise so let me know what you think
    Thanks
    Tim S
    I run 8in front rotor with no problem. Could be the rotor was bent or not set up properly. You can question Trek why they would sell a bike with bad brakes.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/us/en/Insi...Contact_Us.php

Who are the brain police?
    Not normal. If the rotor isn't bent and the brakes is setup correctly -there's no rattle or rub. The dealer sounds lazy or inept, cause thats BS.

There's no reason why you should go with 6" rotors unless that's what you want to run.

You might want to talk w/ someone else at the LBS.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Meh.
    The rattling sounds are likely signs that his fork flexing and the rotors deflecting off the pads. The larger rotors also reasonate at a different pitch than the 6 inch rotors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    There's no reason why you should go with 6" rotors unless that's what you want to run.
    Have you ever compared the difference in weight between and 6" rotor and a 8" rotor? An 8" is around 65% heavier- not accounting for the larger, heavier bracket.

If the noise you had with the 8" was of a "bling bling" sound- especially when riding on pavement- that is just the rotor brushing the brake pads as the fork, wheel, frame flexes- very common with the 8"

If you want/need a larger front rotor you can split the difference and go with a 7".
    I bike; therefore, I work

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I did go with the 6" rotor and I am now sure that it is just the flex described by you guys
    The bike rides awesome Still sadle sore though
    Thanks I guess I will hold on to the new 8" rotor and the bracket maybe I'll need it in the future Thanks Tim S

Members who have read this thread: 0